DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Which Shower Curtain/Liner???

hello, I'm gonna experiment with the Halogen shops and a shower curtain as a diffuser for a huge soft light. What kinda shower curtain/liner??? Plastic/pvc type or fabric?? Clear frosted or milky white frosted??? I'm ready to buy. Maybe I'll try more than one. Did search already and kept hearing about heavy duty ones and keep distance from lights. Someone also mentioned "Bed Bath & Beyond". But what kind? Thanks.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Um.... DON'T get the ones with the little fishies printed on them.

Seriously, different diffusion materials will generate different effects. You'll have to play around to get what you want. Obviously, the more 'diffuse' the better. A clear shower liner will not diffuse anything. Some are lightly frosted, some are almost white, some ARE white. And yes, you could simply use white fabric (after all that's what a softbox is made of). Remember, the farther away the material is from the light, the larger and 'softer' the light sourse will appear.

Play around, they don't cost much.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Major Player

A halogen work light will set fire to and/or melt a shower curtain in nothing flat. So make sure you have an extinguisher and a good insurance policy on hand if you go through with this. I would strongly suggest you use a less flammable material for diffusion. Pick up some ripstop nylon at your fabric store if nothing else, although real tough spun or something similar would be much better. Whatever you do, dont let anything get within a foot of those lights.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Fishes

Maybe the fishes would make a nice cookie.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Or if I do get the Halogens too close, I could have a fish fry.

Thanks everyone. I will try a bunch of different types.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm sure you know this, but you can easily buy just a sheet of Lee or Rosco diffusion for a few dollars. They are much easier to work with, less likely to burn (though it can be done), and provide much more consistant results. With just a little care, you can get many uses out of a single sheet.
I actually think it's a pretty cost-effective solution.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Ralph. I'm assuming that you mean some kinda filter (like mentioned under the "favorite diffusion" thread. I'm not familiar with Lee or Rosco yet. How big is a sheet? One of the reasons that someone would choose a shower curtain is definitely the size. Basically the entire size of the shower curtain becomes a softlight with these powerful lights behind it. So you can fold it to make it "more diffuse" and smaller too. From what I've read so far, it seems like "size" is key factor when using/choosing softlights and it's size should match (more or less) the subject being photographed or filmed depending on a few other factors. But when I just need these halogen work lights diffused in general, just so its not so harsh, I use a sheet of parchment paper (baking paper) over each head and fasten them with wooden clothes pins. This also creates a pleasing effect. Each one can be considered another artistic/asthetic choice depending on what you want.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management