DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   B&H Professional Lighting Sourcebook (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/6177-b-h-professional-lighting-sourcebook.html)

Peter Wiley January 19th, 2003 01:24 PM

B&H Professional Lighting Sourcebook

I just got the new B&H Professional Lighting SourceBook in the mail. For free, I am not sure why. 821 pages; the size of a phone book. It appears to have information (including photometric info) on almost every current lighting instrument known to humankind plus a large number of accessories.

They have a price of $9.95 on it, so maybe one can buy it too.

For anyone who takes lighting seriously this would be a great resource. The variety of stuff available is amazing.

Ken Tanaka January 19th, 2003 01:30 PM

I receive B&H's general catalog twice a year. But, for some reason I also get their "Digital Photography" catalog each year, despite the fact that I've never purchased a digital still camera from them! Yet I've purchased alot of lighting kits and gear there. Dang! I hope they send that lighting catalog to me!

GaryBushey January 20th, 2003 05:03 AM

I can find their general catalog and their digital camera catalog but not their lighting catalog. Anyone else find it?

Robert Knecht Schmidt January 20th, 2003 05:19 AM

I got in in the mail. I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H but never lighting gear. Still, darn nice of them--it's a great catalog. It's so big the postal carrier had to deliver mail to my house twice that day--once for the regular mail, then, once I had emptied my mailbox, again for the B&H Professional Lighting Sourcebook.

I put it up on my shelf next to my XL1 manuals and Cult Movies 1, 2. and 3.

Kenn Jolemore January 22nd, 2003 09:04 AM

Lighting Sourcebook

If you go to the B&H site you can request a copy of their catologues to be sent to you .I can not remember exactly where it was but it's there.

John Locke January 24th, 2003 03:14 AM

Kenn,

That URL is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/...eeCatalog.html.

GaryBushey January 24th, 2003 05:40 AM

I do not see a lighting catalog there, only their general catalog and their digital photography catalog

Peter Wiley January 24th, 2003 07:01 AM

I should have noted that the catalog I received says it's the first edition, so the Web site may not yet have it.

Wayne Orr January 24th, 2003 11:01 AM

Just telephone (remember that device?) B&H and follow the menus. One will ask if you are requesting a catalogue. Give the anwer machine your request and mail information, and you should receive the handbook in a few days. Although I don't know about folks who have not purchased gear in the past from B&H.

GaryBushey January 26th, 2003 07:33 AM

Good things come to those who wait. I just got my book today. BTW, my roommate also got one and I can guarantee that she has never bought anything from them

Bill Pryor January 29th, 2003 05:02 PM

I get all their catalogs, since we've bought a lot and must be on the list. It appears that the manufacturers must pay for the catalogs, or at least a portion of it, which is probably normal. The reason I mention that is that B&H sells Matthews C-stands...but Matthews and American are both absent from that big new lighting catalog. Distressing.

Barry Goyette January 30th, 2003 10:36 AM

They sent me three of 'em...I guess one for home, one for the office, and one for the bathroom.

Great resource. For those who didn't get one...it's huge--800+ pages, I'm still working my way though it, but it seems to have (almost) everything. Too bad about the matthews deletion, although they do have bogen's Avenger line, which is nearly as complete of a system.

Barry

Bill Pryor January 30th, 2003 11:00 AM

I like some Bogen stuff, but I've been involved with those Avenger C-stands before and I didn't like them. Not nearly as massive and sturdy as American or Matthews.

Barry Goyette January 30th, 2003 12:36 PM

Bill

I remember the first Avenger c-stands were a piece-of-crap. I'm not completely sure, but I think they may have been redesigned, as I'm seeing this line show up in a lot of industry rental houses. Last time I got a look at the system up close it looked pretty nice to me, but I haven't actually used any of it.I've got a set of matthews stands here at the studio (originally owned by Bo & Jon Derek, if you can believe it) and I love em.

Barry

Richard Alvarez January 30th, 2003 02:40 PM

I got the lighting catalogue, and have NEVER bought anything from them. Great cat though... nice for "toillet shopping".