DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 19th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #1
Major Player

B&H Professional Lighting Sourcebook

I just got the new B&H Professional Lighting SourceBook in the mail. For free, I am not sure why. 821 pages; the size of a phone book. It appears to have information (including photometric info) on almost every current lighting instrument known to humankind plus a large number of accessories.

They have a price of $9.95 on it, so maybe one can buy it too.

For anyone who takes lighting seriously this would be a great resource. The variety of stuff available is amazing.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I receive B&H's general catalog twice a year. But, for some reason I also get their "Digital Photography" catalog each year, despite the fact that I've never purchased a digital still camera from them! Yet I've purchased alot of lighting kits and gear there. Dang! I hope they send that lighting catalog to me!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2003, 05:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I can find their general catalog and their digital camera catalog but not their lighting catalog. Anyone else find it?
Old January 20th, 2003, 05:19 AM   #4
Wrangler

I got in in the mail. I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H but never lighting gear. Still, darn nice of them--it's a great catalog. It's so big the postal carrier had to deliver mail to my house twice that day--once for the regular mail, then, once I had emptied my mailbox, again for the B&H Professional Lighting Sourcebook.

I put it up on my shelf next to my XL1 manuals and Cult Movies 1, 2. and 3.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lighting Sourcebook

If you go to the B&H site you can request a copy of their catologues to be sent to you .I can not remember exactly where it was but it's there.
Old January 24th, 2003, 03:14 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Kenn,

That URL is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/...eeCatalog.html.
Old January 24th, 2003, 05:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I do not see a lighting catalog there, only their general catalog and their digital photography catalog
Old January 24th, 2003, 07:01 AM   #8
Major Player

I should have noted that the catalog I received says it's the first edition, so the Web site may not yet have it.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Just telephone (remember that device?) B&H and follow the menus. One will ask if you are requesting a catalogue. Give the anwer machine your request and mail information, and you should receive the handbook in a few days. Although I don't know about folks who have not purchased gear in the past from B&H.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Good things come to those who wait. I just got my book today. BTW, my roommate also got one and I can guarantee that she has never bought anything from them
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #11
Contributor

I get all their catalogs, since we've bought a lot and must be on the list. It appears that the manufacturers must pay for the catalogs, or at least a portion of it, which is probably normal. The reason I mention that is that B&H sells Matthews C-stands...but Matthews and American are both absent from that big new lighting catalog. Distressing.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #12
Trustee

They sent me three of 'em...I guess one for home, one for the office, and one for the bathroom.

Great resource. For those who didn't get one...it's huge--800+ pages, I'm still working my way though it, but it seems to have (almost) everything. Too bad about the matthews deletion, although they do have bogen's Avenger line, which is nearly as complete of a system.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #13
Contributor

I like some Bogen stuff, but I've been involved with those Avenger C-stands before and I didn't like them. Not nearly as massive and sturdy as American or Matthews.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #14
Trustee

Bill

I remember the first Avenger c-stands were a piece-of-crap. I'm not completely sure, but I think they may have been redesigned, as I'm seeing this line show up in a lot of industry rental houses. Last time I got a look at the system up close it looked pretty nice to me, but I haven't actually used any of it.I've got a set of matthews stands here at the studio (originally owned by Bo & Jon Derek, if you can believe it) and I love em.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I got the lighting catalogue, and have NEVER bought anything from them. Great cat though... nice for "toillet shopping".
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management