DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 20th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Anyone know about the Bescor?

Has anyone heard of these? I found one at a place in Houston for 80 bucks. It's a 50 watt light that'll mount on the XL1s' accessory shoe mount. Just wondering if anyone's used them, and what your impressions were.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Actually you're right. I don't know about the $88 but hey, if that's what it is great. I use a Bescor 50W dc/100W ac with a Bescor belt that lasts about 21/2 hours and the juice box that came with the light lasts about 90 minutes. I use the light a lot a wedding receptions as they are going darker and darker all the time, almost lights out on some, but the point is I also soften the light down with diffusion material. I'll guess I get it down to about 15-20W. I also keep it off the camera by using a bracket I made a long time ago. It raises the light about 2 inches higher and also has an adjustment so I can lean it to 1 side or the other. It keeps folks from haveing the 'deer in the headlights' look.
I know there are better lights out there, but I'm quite happy with the Bescor.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:15 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

How "wide" is the light? In terms of degrees, if you had to guess?

And, you believe 50 watts is too bright? Do you always diffuse, or only in certain situations?
Old January 21st, 2003, 05:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Not really sure about width of beam but I'll GUESS about 20 degree. It seems pretty concentrated. It hasa diffued lens on it with barndoors top and bottom. All I use the doors for really is to cover the lens during transport and somplace to tape the diffusion material to. Is 50W to bright? Good question. Usually it is but 2 weeks ago I did a reception (not a wedding) and it was so dark that you almost couldnot see you hand in front of your face. 50W seemed right then. Even the photog was complaining. I would rather have the power and knock it down than not have it and need it.
Don
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:10 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

I found one that's like 100w for 40 bucks. . .can take either a 100w or a 50w bulb, diffuser and bar n doors.
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

sounds like the 1 I have. Does it have a battery? The juice box will run about 75-90 minutes with the 50W DC bulb- the 100W is AC (at least mine is)
Don
Old January 21st, 2003, 04:43 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

I couldn't tell if it came with a battery. The description didn't mention it. Battery was listed at around $70 (B&H site. . .sorry Chris, ZGC doesn't appear to have on camera lights.)
Old January 21st, 2003, 07:29 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If memory serves me right, (rarely these days) I believe I paid somewhere around $150-165 from B&H for the complete kit. Light, bulbs (DC/AC and juice box battery.) I bought the belt seperately
Don
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:48 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

Sounds about right. This light. . will it light more than one person at a time at a relatively close distance?
Old January 22nd, 2003, 05:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I use it at wedding receptions to light up dancing couples all the time. Seems to work for me.
Don
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Don: what is this juice box you're refering to? All I'm seeing are battery belts for these lights sold as accessories on BH's site.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #12
Inner Circle

A 'Juice Box' is a single battery that looks like a large, ummm, Juice Box.
No really, it's just a single battery in the shape of a box with a shoulder strap and a belt strap on the battery cover. It's probably about 5 or 6" high, 4" wide and 2 or so inches deep.
It's also a lead acid battery and weighs about 5-6 lbs.
It's very helpful on windy days to help keep you in place ;)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management