DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How do you use a sand bag?

Okay, I feel dumb even typing this, but I want to be sure how other people do it. I already know that if you are using a C-stand it should go over the higher leg. But what about other stands, like say this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Does the sandbag go over one of the legs (doesn't seem very secure) or inside the one of the triangles (over the struts that attach to the legs). Also, how often do people use them? Every time, every light, or just with particularly heavy lights and tall stands?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hmmmm, that's a spindly stand, so be gentle and put the bag on the inside struts. On beefer stands, like Juniors stands, they can be layed on the legs and hang on the legs.

Scott
IMDB listing: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0817387/
Scott Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Major Player

i've never had a tip over with these little ones.....in my opinion a sandbag might be a little to heavy.
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

So far I haven't used sandbags, but we have an outdoor shoot this weekend and its been pretty windy so I thought it would be a good idea.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Major Player

For me it depends on what's on the stand and whether someone's likely to walk by and accidently bump it. With a larger light like a 1K on a smaller stand -- besides not doing it unless it's absolutely necessary -- I use two. One sandbag on each side over the "struts", to prevent either side from becoming too heavy.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

sand bag

put the bag on the outside of the leg close to the center post. If you put the bag inside the legs, they are harder move quickly.
Peter Costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Another option is to rig a few bags with a length of sash cord tied to the sandbag and ending in an adjustable hitch (like a tautline hitch). Then you can drop the hitch over the lowest knuckle and pull tight to apply as much (up to the size of the sandbag) or as little weight as needed. Plus the weight is straight down on the stand.

Frankly, most of the time, I just drap a bag over a leg. It's quick and provides enough extra weight to keep the stand stable.

As for when to use them, I think Tim's got it right. If it's likely to get bumped, it gets a bag regardless. Otherwise, once I go above something small like a 750w fresnel, it gets a bag. If the stand is going up high, it gets extra bags. If it's going really high and there is wind, then it gets guy lines as well.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management