DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Looking for a light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/62699-looking-light.html)

Marcus Marchesseault March 9th, 2006 08:15 AM

I was trying to keep it simple. I think what we are talking about is the Inverse Square Law? A light's strength falls off rapidly, so objects close to it are lit much more than those far away. Something twice as far doesn't have half the light, it has more like 1/4 the light. In the end, the effect is that old newscam harsh look with bad shadows and overdone highlights with a dark background. A tiny little light can bring up the PD/VX cams to a decent exposure without drowning out the background that is lit by the room lights. The good low-light sensitivity is good for many reasons. Less light means more affordable lights and longer battery life, nevermind the reduced annoyance to the people.

Tom Hardwick March 9th, 2006 08:24 AM

I'm right alongside you on this one Marcus!

Jerome Niko March 12th, 2006 07:49 PM

Hey Marcus and Tom, thanks for the advice.

Well, I've been lookin' around on e-bay and such and the VX2100 or VX2000 keeps popping up. I'm not sure if that's the same light you're talking about Marcus but it appears to be too soft for me. I guess I'm looking for somewhat of a hard light that can be dimmed down and softened if need be. The VX2100 seems to be a great light for its size and portability but I'm also turned off by the fact that the battery only lasts for 15 minutes. If it had a large battery that I could wear on a shoulder pack or something to keep it alive longer I would probably go for it. I'm one of those guys that likes to overshoot rather than undershoot (if those are real words, heh heh) and not get enough footage. Especially when shooting weddings, I like to have all of the candid and unexpected moments captured and if 15 minutes is all I got to work with I'm not sure it'll be worth it. Anyhow, thank you guys for replying. I really appreciate it.

Jerome Niko March 12th, 2006 07:52 PM

Oops, I think the VX2100 is a camcorder model.

Yeah, I just looked at the ad again and it looks like the actual "light" is called an RL-20 or something or other. Anyway, just thought I'd clear that up. Thanks again guys!

Jack D. Hubbard March 13th, 2006 02:39 AM

On camera light

This is pretty basic, but has worked well for me: For quickie interviews I use a Sony HVL-20DW2 light. It has a 10 and a 20 watt setting (one or two bulbs on) and runs on an NP-960/970 Sony Battery. I also use it as a hair light. For diffusion, you can buy a white opaque flash cover used on for still cameras; it fits nicely on the light and costs about 20 bucks.

Jerome Niko March 13th, 2006 11:47 AM

Thanks for the recommendation Jack.

Yeah, I'm just wary about not getting enough lighting power because I often times find myself in very dim to almost pitch black type situations. I've had to sort of bite the bullet up to this point and the PD170 does perform pretty well in low-light shooting but just not well enough for my taste. I personally prefer to have my subjects very well illuminated. I don't like harsh shadows and I don't want to "blow them out" so to speak but I really dig softness and warmth on peoples' faces when shooting. When it's too dark I lose the detail that I crave also. Thanks for the kind advice guys.

Jack D. Hubbard March 14th, 2006 06:54 PM

How much light?

Hi Lars;
How much light do really need? And how much battery power do you want to carry? You can use a battery belt to power a 100 light for about 45 minutes and use diffusers. (I also do this when the Sony 20 doesn't work). There are a lot of different lights, frezzis, lowels, nrg, etc., but power, charger and light will start getting pricey in a real hurry. You can easily spend in the range of $600-700; for a basic light package. Also, how much are you going to use the light, and what do you want to illuminate?