eye lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 15th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #1
Major Player

eye lights?

Do you use a direct light or a reflector to get light reflection in eyes?

if light, what kind?

I hate to "waste" one of my production lights for this if there's an easier solution.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

in most music video clip, you can see the light reflecting in the eyes of the singers.
the is is a consequence of the way they throw light to their face to suppress any shadow and make them nicer especially if they move their head a lot.
they use lamps disposed all around the lense of the camera.
sometime it is a flower made of neon tube, or a ring made of bulbes or even Leds. The power is usually small, since most of time it is extrem close-up and the camera is moving with the subject.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
...the is is a consequence of the way they throw light to their face to suppress any shadow...
Many shooters use eye lights and maintain dramatic lighting. A small enough light doesn't wash out the face of the subject.

Giroud is right that it doesn't take much power, all you want is that little reflection. If it's not coming from your existing lighting, it is common to add the smallest light to a camera mount, or on a stand near the camera.

Fixtures you might look at are Lowell i-Light, id-light (dimmable), the littlest Dedolights, the Arri 150w fresnel, I'm sure there are others. Decide whether you want battery or AC power, then shop for the lowest wattage you can find, and some controls to knock it down further.

I don't have one, but I suspect the little Sony (and there are others) 20w and 50w lights that are designed for camera mount with a camera battery stuck on the back would work well for this.

When I'm lighting, eyes will frequently pick up a reflection from key or fill. I don't feel I need much, just enough that dark-colored eyes have some dimensionality. One reflected highlight does the trick. I do have a tiny light for this, but rarely pull it out.

Unless you *like* flattening out the lighting, then you can use any fixture you have, put it near the camera...

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; April 15th, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the lighting unit suggestions - I'll take a look.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management