DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Major Player

$5000

Hi there - I know there are a ton of threads on this but thought I might get some fresh ideas. Shooting with a DVX-100, short film. Allotting $5k for new lights and wanted some input. I'm looking at a Arri kit for starters but what else would be good to compliment the kit. Also, is there any reason to get 300's when the 650's will take a lesser bulb? Wouldn't five 650's be better than two with two 300's and a 150 or does the width of the fresnel lense make a difference? I'm looking strictly at 3200k right now, no HMI's yet. As always thanks for any input.
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

650s lamped down to 300w are fine, and, more versatile. My primary small kit will take 650w but is usually lamped with 420w. A couple lamped 650 and a couple lamped 300 would get you through most 4-light setups. (650 key & back, 300 fill and background.)

This provides plenty of light if the subject is a person or two, the modern DV cameras have such good light performance... then you'd still be able to lamp with 650w if you were needing to illuminate a large space.

A really small fixture or two can come in handy to fix a small problem.

I'd add a soft box or two, and some grip equipment to position reflectors, backgrounds, gobos, or lights in unusual places. If you have transportation and help, the standard sizes such as those by Mathews are good. If you go out solo, the small stuff from Lowel is much easier to transport. A large photoflex-style 5-way reflector, a small one. If you shoot people outside and can handle the heavier grip stuff and sandbags a 12' silk on a frame is nice.

Various attachments from Lowel and Mathews will hang lights without a stand, such as Math. putty knife, chain vise-grips, or Lowel scissor clip, door hanger, etc.

Be sure to get a single and double scrim for each light, plus a few half-scrims.

A location cart to move it all around?

What/where will you be shooting for this short film?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Seth - This $5k is just for lights, I've got the other stuff and a production truck to haul everything. Not a specific project, just want to be well equipped. I want to place an order at B&H tomorrow but want to get the right stuff. I'm stumbling on the smaller fixtures, if I can down lamp the 650's why not get those instead, barring the 150 lamp I believe. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #4
Major Player

You might want to consider ordering Altman lights instead of Arri less expensive and the same quality of light.
That is what I did with no regrets.

Bill
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Michael,
As many times as quesitons like yours are asked, I thinkl it's cool becuase we all like to shop, especially with other people's money.

The 650's are great and certainly not a whole lot bigger than the 300, but you would do well to get a couple 150's or small peppers as they are much smaller and can be mounted lots of places the larger ones can't. I like to mount them on Autopoles which are really useful in interiors.

I would also recommend a 1K and/or 2K open face (Arrilite-type). They can provide a ton of light and real punch when needed. I've got a Softbank I kit that has the 1K Arrilite and Chimera. It's very versatile and useful.

I have also found Kinos to be extremely useful and versatile for dv work. You might think of something along those lines as well. For $5K you should get you a great Arri kit, some smaller 150's and some fluourescent as well.

regards,
Matt
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Here's where what I went with - Arri (2) 650's, (2) 300's, (2) 150's (all accessories), Desisti 1K Fresnel, Lowel Soft light 2k and the same in a 1500.
(6) C-stands with arms. Got a little more to spend so all input is great, in fact the forums rounded my decisions, not the vendor, you guys are awesome. I'm now researching the fluoro's..
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Trustee

There are two Diva 400s up in the classified section of these forums. Fluoro or HMI is the only way to go if you need to match daylight. I hate needing to double the wattage on an already hot light to compensate for the CTB filtering reduction. Fluorescent also helps ease the burden on the electrical system.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Major Player

will research - thanks
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Major Player

point to the auction?
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Trustee

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=65938
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management