Diva Lite 400 or DMX 4Bank at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 29th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Diva Lite 400 or DMX 4Bank

I'm torn between getting a Diva Lite 400 or a Select DMX 4Bank. My needs are this: interviewing 1 to 2 people at about 3-4 feet distance and sometimes going to a home for a 1 to 2 person interview. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 30th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Allen,
I've not used the Select with DMX, but I've used the Diva 400 and 2 foot 4 bank with select ballast. Both will probably work for what you want to do. The biggest difference to me is that the Diva outputs 220W with more punch than a 2 Foot 4 bank, which, with 20W lamps will only get you 80W total. Big difference. You can get the HO lamps for more output, but still not as much as the Diva's. The Diva has a diffuser (flozier) that straps on quickly as well if you want to soften, and still get a lot of light. You can probably use it on the 4bank to.

If you are just going to throw them on a stand, they are equally quick to set up (though the Diva is problably quicker and easier to use once it's up), but the Diva is easily dimmable without DMX control. The 4bank has some advantage because the ballast is separate, the fixture is light and easier to mount on ceilings, walls, etc than the Diva. You can also remove the harness if you need to and place a bare lamp somewhere, so a little more versatile, but probably not needed for straight interview setups.

I'm actually selling a couple of Diva 400's (though this is not ad and somebody may already be buying them) and I just sold a 4 bank (b/c my project is moving into post). I really like the Divas and find that I would pull them out first before a 4 bank for most uses.

Hope that helps.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #3
DSR450 Shooter

Why are you selling the Divas? How much? I'm interested!

PERSONAL FILMMAKING CAMERA: SONY DSR450 2/3" 16:9 24P DVCAM
WET CAMERA: SONY HC1000 16:9 w/IKELITE HOUSING
STUNT CAMERA: PANASONIC DVX100
CAMERA USED AT WORK: SONY BVW600

GET DIRT CHEAP TERANEX XANTUS SD-HDCAM UP-REZ SERVICE AT:REZFACTOR.COM
Ralph Oshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm moving ionto post on my project and need to recoup some funds. I sent you a PM regarding the lights.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM   #5
DSR450 Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson
I'm moving ionto post on my project and need to recoup some funds. I sent you a PM regarding the lights.
PMs are "disabled by the administrator" on my screen for some reason. Can you send me an e-mail? Thanks.

PERSONAL FILMMAKING CAMERA: SONY DSR450 2/3" 16:9 24P DVCAM
WET CAMERA: SONY HC1000 16:9 w/IKELITE HOUSING
STUNT CAMERA: PANASONIC DVX100
CAMERA USED AT WORK: SONY BVW600

GET DIRT CHEAP TERANEX XANTUS SD-HDCAM UP-REZ SERVICE AT:REZFACTOR.COM
Ralph Oshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Matthew's got the pros and cons just right. If the great majority of what you are doing is interviews, then the Diva is the right answer. The flexibility of being able to take the 4 bank apart, however, shouldn't be overlooked. The ability to use just the harness with the tubes taped somewhere or another is very helpful in confined situations.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management