Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Tourist

What to do with a Cool Lux Mini-Cool?

So here's my challenge:

I have a Mini-Cool light made by Cool-Lux, given to me as a birthday gift years ago... and I've never been able to figure out a use for it. For those who don't know, they're a small halogen light which give a massive blast of hard blinding light. I believe wedding videographers and news reporters were supposed to be using these, but I still can't imagine how or why. Maybe at night?! This sucker even has heat vents on the top, which makes it extra tricky to diffuse.

So, what I could really use if a soft box. The thing is, Cool Lux has what looks to be a sock, with a panel of white material that they're selling for $80.

I need a cheaper option! and suggestions for practical uses for this light, since it's just sitting in a drawer right now.
Scott Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I've used the mini-cools as an on-camera light, a "hair light", and even as a little kicker background light. You can get lamps at a lower wattage to keep them from being too hot as an on-camera light, and they even make (or made?) a little diffusion glass to replace the regular clear glass on the front. If you have barn doors for the little guy (those will run you about $35-40 if I remember correctly), then using them as a hair light or for highlights in the background work great, just like any other light.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks, for the lower wattage bulb suggestion - that's probably my best bet, and actually it hadn't occured to me.

I would still love a way to convert this into a soft box.
Scott Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Would this help:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Portable-Flas...QQcmdZViewItem

I've just bought one for my DSC but it might cheaply solve your problem, I know it's going to look wierd but hey it's cheap.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management