Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Commercial lighting setup

Hello,
I am new to commercial shoots, and mainly stick to wedding videography. I was wondering what a good but basic setup would be to shoot commercial spots on location within local stores and outside areas? I live in a relative small city with only one television company which has this market cornered but charges way too much for crappy commercials. I have been getting a lot of requests but know nothing about lighting for this type of event. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Jason,

The majority of my shooting is done with lighting and I come from a still photography background.

There are lots of links on the Web (do a search on "video lighting tutorial"). There are many discussions on this forum. You might also look into 2nd-Unit TV. There is a link on DVi.

This is the short version:

I prefer softboxes. IMO they give me the best overall solutions. I can take the defusers off if I want more light and more direct light (with shadows). If I want less shadows but lots of light, they do that very well.

I basically use three to six lights, depending on the environment and what I need to achieve. I use two softboxes minimum, a main light (or key light) and a fill. The main light has the most wattage or coverage, the fill is just that, filling in the shadows on the opposite side of the main light. I place them on either side of my camera and change the angles to gain the desired effect. I generally have them about 90 degrees from each other but that varies.

I also use other lights, not usually softboxes, to do things like light the background or as a kicker light, that is used to highlight the edges of a subject or a "hair light" to highlight the hair on a subject or accentuate a facial line.

Hope this helps.
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A good approach would be to get a versatile light kit, which implies a variety of lights.

Some it of comes down to your personal preference, your budget, and how portable you want the kit to be.

A very basic kit to start off with might be something like:
-A soft light source like a chimera/softbox or DIY nanolight (see victor milt's lighting DVD for instructions on how to make one).
-A fresnel light
-Reflectors- crinkled tinfoil works very well (just tape/glue it to cardboard), or get the kinds that fold up (photoflex is one company that makes these); these will need stands to hold them; the cardboard side can act as a flag
-A Lowel Pro-light for hair/rim. These are cheap (compared to other professional lights), light, small/portable, and you can hang 'em off a ceiling with the right clamp (get those too).
-Accessories - see the low budget lighting sticky to see what you need

From there, that's about 4 light sources (more if you can use more reflectors)... and you can combine the lights in different ways to do 3-point lighting or whatever else you want to do. You then might want to add some other lights... at least one more soft light source, another fresnel, maybe a chinese lantern, etc.
If you're a one-man army, you may not be able to setup that many lights anyways... so you might want lights that setup fast (i.e. Lowel Rifa / softbox).

- One person's light kit:
http://www.dv.com/news/news_item.jht...2004/graff0404
registration required
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Major Player

The Power of Lighting series is well done:

http://poweroflighting.com/
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management