DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 27th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #1
Trustee

Steel shot?

Any ideas where I can get steel shot cheaply? I don't want to order online, so some sort of product that can be found at the hardware store or the like would be preferable. The cost of shipping 50 pounds of anything is prohibitive to my locale, so even something similar to steel shot would be okay. Sand is not heavy enough for my smallish bags and I don't want to be forced to use so many bags on each light stand. Thanks in advance.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Do you have rifle ranges near you? When there is nobody on the range, go behing the targets and dig out the used slugs. Heavy and free.
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've always assumed (!?) that shot could be had at a shooter's supply - isnt' it called shot because it is what goes in shotgun shells?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Or, for that matter, what about B.B.s? You can find those at Wal Mart- provided they aren't banned from Hawaii.
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Ball bearings? :-)
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Major Player

GO to a tire store and ask if you can have their used weights. They are usually very happy to send them on thier way.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
Any ideas where I can get steel shot cheaply? I don't want to order online, so some sort of product that can be found at the hardware store or the like would be preferable. The cost of shipping 50 pounds of anything is prohibitive to my locale, so even something similar to steel shot would be okay. Sand is not heavy enough for my smallish bags and I don't want to be forced to use so many bags on each light stand. Thanks in advance.
Go to your local dive shop. You'll be able to purchase bags of shot in various weights. In the old days, divers wore weight belts with big clanky chunks of lead around their waist. My BC vest has two removable weight holder bags that I stuff with those beanbags of lead shot. Since they are pliable, they are much more comfortable to wear.

You could also go and buy fishing weights and fill your bag with those. I'm talking the big ones like are used for seine nets, etc.

Large outdoor supply shops will also have lead shot for people who reload their own shotgun shells. If they sell re-loading equipment, they'll have the shot pellets as well.

Since you are in Hawaii, I think you should have no trouble finding a dive shop nearby.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Trustee

All good ideas, but I hoping to avoid lead. I suppose the bags are completely sealed and won't cause a health issue, but lead is probably too heavy for these bags. I think I might try BB pellets since I think they are copper coated for corrosion resistance. If they are too expensive, I will see where my acquaintances that reload shells get shot locally. Wherever they get lead shot will probablly have easy access to steel shot. They only use lead because they shoot at close-range metal targets and rely on the malleable lead to splat against the target and not ricochet.

Has anyone tried small, smooth river stones used along pathways? I think they might not conform enough to the legs of stands. I think the same might happen with tire weights since they are rigid. I think the ability of the sand/shot to smoothly fold around objects is an important property.

Mahalo (thanks) and aloha!
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Pea-gravel or pea-stone. I've read it works wonderfully though I don't remember the source.

I'd stay away from steel that you have to buy. Especially from a sporting goods store. My dad was a plumber and he always had solder that came in thumb sized molds you break off when you need it (63% tin 37% lead solder if I remember right). Get some of those, wrap them in tinfoil and slip them in the fabric bags. If your current bags won't/can't hold the weight, use the legs from blue jeans, or go to the fabric store and see what's on sale.

- - - -

I was in your neighborhood this past spring. We got there just as that 40 day rain run ended. I heard some guy near the zoo was building a large boat of some kind.

Good luck and Mahalo back at cha.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #10
Trustee

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have decen pea-gravel here. We have crushed basalt rock that is just the right weight, but it is not tumbled so the edges are sharp. I'm afraid that it will abrade the bags too much.

I like the idea of making my own sandbags. I even know someone with a heavy-duty sewing machine.

The best thing about the 40 days of rain with parts of the islands getting well over a foot of rain a day (really) was that when the water stopped flowing the mosquitos hatched. Joy! I'm just happy that I live at about 350' altitude and won't drown when global warming raises sea level 50 feet.

Just in case, I'm trying to build a sailing canoe.
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Capt. Quirk

Marcus, do you have pet stores that sell aquarium supplies? You can find all sorts of gravel there. Buy a few 1 or 2 pound bags of it, and don't open them, sew them into your denim sack sealed.
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Major Player

Couldn't you grab a couple heavy duty bags and fill them up with sand from the beach?
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Marcus...

When we did a lot of skeet shooting we used to get together a group of people and order a container load of lead shot -- about 20,000 pounds at a time.

I agree that lead shot might not be the best material to use for weights. Over time and with repeated handling the lead will pulverize little bits of itself and create lead dust. I've seen that happen in a lot of tackle boxes.

You might want to check with a place called "Security Equipment" (808-589-0911, on Young Street) as they bring in various types of shot for reloading. If you ask for Cyrus he has contacts with the Koko Head skeet club, and they might know if/when they're expecting to bring in a shipment, or if someone might have steel shot stashed away somewhere.

All the shot I have is lead, and most skeet shooters (if not all) prefer lead for its ability to ensure that the target gets broken. A big deal especially if a single target can mean winning or settling for second place.

Of course with my shooting skill I'd usually win something in the random drawing afterward...
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #14
Trustee

Dean, I checked on steel shot with Security Equipment and they said to try Youn Guns. I have a friend that goes shooting frequently and I've left a message for him. It seems that steel is not common around here.

Beach sand - I bought some from the hardware store and that is the stuff that is too light for my smaller bags. It takes a voluminous bag to hold enough weight of coral sand. I will use that in any large bags I get around to making.

Aquarium gravel! That may be just what I am looking for. I'm pretty sure it is tumbled smooth and is probably far cheaper than steel shot. Coral sand is too light, but a denser rock should be just heavy enough. As it is, my bags only weigh about 8-10 pounds with plain beach coral sand. I want the bags to be heavy enough to only use one bag per stand so I think they should weigh closer to 15 pounds to be safe.

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone. No-budget movies require a bit of creative resource gathering and I was drawing a blank. It is such a simple thing, but I just couldn't think of anything but sand, river stones, and buckshot. I discounted buckshot as being too expensive, but I think finding the right source may be key. I never even thought of aquarium gravel or scuba lead pouches and they were right under my nose. My roommate has his BC laying on the couch with it's lead shot pouches installed and it never even crossed my mind that those could be a solution. I feel so much smarter with the internet!
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Marcus...

Another source of lead is the dirt berms at the Koko Head pistol range.

If you get there late, around 4 when it shuts down, you might be able to go up to the berm with a 5-gallon bucket and pick out bullets in the dirt.

I used to collect lead that way in the brief time that I actually cast my own pistol bullets. After a while, I felt it wasn't worth my time. But you can get a remarkable amount of lead in a short period of time.

There's a lot of bullets in the dirt. You don't need a shovel because they're right at the surface. But you will need a few buckets because that stuff is heavy!

Talk to the range safety officer and explain what you're doing. I'm sure he'll give you permission to do that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management