DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 9th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Setting up three person interview

I would like to know if this can be done.
I want to shot an interview with three people at the same time, I just dont know how to place them, light them and frame them?

thanks!

Vedran
Vedran Rupic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Off the top of my head there are 3 ways to do this. FIRST, set all 3 up together perhaps at a small desk like table and use the "news anchor" type look OR set up 2 people on 1 side and the interviewer across from them ala 60 minutes, 20/20 or most any other news magazine show OR you could set them up like a late night talk show. The interviewer at a table or desk with the interviewees to one side on say 2 chairs or a couch. There are variations of all these setups. As for how to shoot them, FIRST you need to light them and for that you'll need at minimum a 3 point kit, probably 5 or 6 to do it right, then again to do it PROPERLY figure 3 camera minumum better with 4 depending on the seating arrangment could use 5. Don't forget audio, 3 boom mics-one over each talking head OR 3 lavs might be wired or could be wireless depending on the setup. OF course thats all to do it right-if you need to do it gorilla then 2 cams, a couple of lights and a couple of lavs-shoot, change position, shoot the same thing again etc, gets old and too many chances for mistakes.
Old saying, "there's never enough time to do it right BUT there's always enough time to do it again"

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

can you give a little more info on the interview .
is this business type interview ... news room type ... 60 min type ...
or more casual 3 persons at home ? at office , at location ?

for casual home i usually put them on a couch - camera in front of all - move couch so i'm getting 2/3 angle natural light from window on all 3 ... i then use a short shotgun on Boom ( with op ) and i use one boundary mic in front of all 3 ... move in for med & C/U depending on questions and dynamic of group ....
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

the interview is going to be casual, and i will like to do it pretty much as simple as possible.
Minimizing setups.
I like some of the ideas presented here, but more input will be greatly appreciated.
Vedran Rupic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management