Arri D2 Kit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 19th, 2003, 05:57 PM   #16
Major Player

I have to second Ken's reaction to the Arri equip. I have the D2 kit too. Solid, professional gear & great light.

I don't have too much trouble getting everything back in the box. The trick is learning to re-coil the cables so the coils are the right size. Hold the coil in the left hand and the line between thumb, fore and index fingers of your right hand. Turn the cable about 1/4 turn with these fingers as you lay it into the coil (the line will "remember" its orginal coil). An old stage hand taught me this trick years ago and it almost never fails with cords or rope.

Tuck the switches into the center of the coils as you lay them against the side of the instrument in each of the cubby holes.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Oh, I missed that Dylan was only joking, sounded like he really meant it, lol.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #18
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Simmons :
You said "the Arri's are blue and silver. The Lowel's are black. Everyone knows pro gear is black."

So, if I get the Arri kit, and then paint the exteriors black, am I pro now?
-->>>

Absolutely! ;)

Sorry you guys missed my (Humour) label at the top of my post.
Sadly, there probably is some truth to my joke in some circles... :)
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks for the cord coiling tips, Peter. I'll try that the next time I use the Arri's!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #20
Major Player

one last quesiton before I call up B&H today. (would have gone with the usual ZGC, but they were honest and said I would get a better price at B&H).

Ken and Peter, is there any reason why I should get the D2 instead of the D1 kit? The difference of course is the 150w and 300w in the D1 instead of two 300w in the D2. The price difference isn't that much at all, less than 100 I think. Do you think 2 300w would be a much better setup or is the 150w not worth it? Or do you guys wish you had a smaller 150w? I'm pretty new to this and I'm not sure if a 150w is really necessary or if 2 300w is overkill for my needs. I know this is a vague question but any advice would be appreciated.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #21
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Brad,
That's an excellent question which I asked myself when I was making a selection. (BTW, the fixtures are rated only for the specified lamps, so you cannot use lower wattage lamps, at least to my knowledge.)

My conclusion was that the higher wattage set would ultimately be more flexible. You can always gel-down a higher-watt light but you can't produce more light from a lower wattage lamp.

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:36 AM   #22
Major Player

thanks again Ken, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm excited to get this kit.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management