DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 5th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What On-Board Light To You Use?

What brand / type of on-board light do you use with your camera. I use a PD150 and bought a HVL-20DW2, and just wanted to know that I made a good choice. I also got a third NP-F960 so I don't have to worry about power. After turning it on I almost blinded myself, I had no idea it would be so bright.

One other thing, does anyone know of a way to run both the light and camera off AC. I have that thing that goes from the quick charger to the battery conection, so that I can run the light of AC, but must have the camera going from battery. No matter what I can think of I can only have one running off AC, without buying a second AC adapter.

Just was hoping someone had some adive.
Neil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 05:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Let's see; I use a Bescor light. I forget the model number, but it has barndoors and a diffusion glass and can use up to a 50 watt DC bulb. I have a juice box that will run 75-90 minutes and a battery belt that will run about 2 1/2hours-I usually use a piece of diffusion material to soften up the light at wedding receptions but lately it seems they are turning the lights so far down I almost have to use 50W. BTW, I also use a 150 and it is great in low light but it won't see in the dark. I can of course also plug the light into AC and use a 100W bulb but I have never had a reason to do that.
As for your running off of AC I'm afraid you'll have to use 1 AC adaptor for the light and 1 for the camera. They are seperate pieces and therefore require seperate adaptors.
Hope this helps,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #3
Wrangler

NRG Varilight Pro.

Would sell my dog for one of the little Frezzi 18 watt HMIs, though.
Old March 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sell my dog? NEVER! My wife perhaps...
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Anybody use the new Frezzi 10 watt HMI microfill yet? Does it really pump out the equivalent of 50 watts from a tungsten bulb and last for two and a half hours on one of those tiny NP-1 batteries? This would seem like the perfect all purpose light! I love my dimmer mini-fill, but man does it suck a lot of juice.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Whoops, make that 10-watt MICRO-SUN GUN HMI.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:46 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

I have a bescor too. Model is VS100 (it's a DC light). Comes with barn doors and a diffuser/safety lens. I used it recently on a night shoot with a 100w bulb. Very nice! Not at all a soft effect, but you can add what you need to. Also takes a 50 watt bulb. I got an electrolyte starved battery to go with it. Battery only lasts for 35 minutes with the 100w bulb, 80 mins with the 50w bulb. Whole package was about $124 dollars.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management