Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM   #1

"Back Lighting" by Walter Graff

Here's another fine lighting article by NY based videographer Walter Graff:

http://www.film-and-video.com/broadc...backlight.html
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent article. Thanks for the link, Jay!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #3

For more articles, go to http://www.film-and-video.com and it will load a frames page. In the left frame, go down to "Articles/Instruction" and click. You're then taken to a page in the right frame. Just scroll down until you reach the list with blinking icons.

He provides some great information and food for thought!

By the way, John Locke was the one who pointed this fella out to begin with. So I can't take any credit for the link.
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No need to pass on the credit, Jay. I'd missed this particular newsletter. I'm glad you told me about it!

This is a really good newsletter to sign up for.
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Very interesting. Finally someone who agrees with me ! ;-)

Backlighting for DV has always been my pet peeve. It looks OK and is often useful when shooting talking heads or interviews, but most of the time I think it looks way too artificial for fiction and the fact that DV cameras have a very low dynamic range doesn't help. The highlights which look great on film are too constrasty on DV. Add to that the electronic edge enhancement (assuming your camera doesn't let you turn it down) and you'll have the best "video look" you could hope for ! ;-)

As Walter puts it, it's mostly a matter of taste... Well I know what I prefer (for DV fiction) and this why I strongly disagree with the notion that you should light video like film to get a film look. You can however get some pretty good results with more diffuse backlight and by having it come a bit more from a side angle to the subject.

On our DV film (see link below if you read french) I sometimes had to argue with the DP to have him *not* light the way he was used to. The image looks a bit "flat" on stills but much better in movement. Of course if we had had a mini35 then, shallower DOP would have helped even more...

(Hello Jay, small world ;-) )
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #6

Hi, Steven-Marc! The world as our father's knew it no longer exists, it's all just one giant Internet connection.

You'll find that this is great forum to get just about any information you may need in regards to DV. Our hat's off to Chris Herd for that!

I went to your Shadow Girl site and watched the large trailer. For those of us who culturally challenged, how about some subtitles? ;o)

The thing I love about the French language, especially in cinema, is you could be telling someone how to gut a fish and it would still sound beautiful.

Most importantly, congratulations on the film's selection at Worldfest Houston! Best of luck to cast and crew!!!
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Jay !

Huh, are you teasing (about the teaser) ? I don't recall there being any dialog in it...?

The screening in Houston will have subtitles of course...

BTW: John Locke kindly opened a new thread about our film, so we might want to continue there:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=7654
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #8

It was the "making-of" video I watched.
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh, OK. Lol !
We'll that's really a very old video. I believe we were on our 2nd or 3rd day of shooting when we did that.
I'd recommend watching the other "demo" trailer, even though that's also fairly old and we were only halfway through shooting, but you get to see real images from the film (although not yet corrected in post).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management