DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mr-16 48 wb

what do you guys think abot this on camera light?
http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Video-Light-...QQcmdZViewItem
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

ummm, that's just a bulb. You need to put it in "a coolux, Anton Bauer, IDX, Frezzi, and any 12v MR-16 enclosure." plus something to power it up.

I'm not familiar with this particular bulb, but I hear broadcast guys are liking these retrofit LED bulb assemblies for their existing on-camera lights.

Not really fitting with this horror-lighting thread, because the only people using on-camera lights are those who have to run-and-gun. I guess Blair Witch Project used some on-camera light for the exteriors, along with flashlight-like fixtures.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Wrangler

Moderator note:

This thread split from http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=76139 because this is a new topic. Seth's reference to horror lighting refers back to that thread.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I purchased the flood version and was very impressed with the color. The brightness was a little low though. I bought the focused version and wow what a difference, not only is it bright and throws a beam but you can diffuse it and it's brighter than the flood version. I now have 5 focused and 1 flood. I made a housing to mount 4 bulbs together.
Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Not really fitting with this horror-lighting thread, because the only people using on-camera lights are those who have to run-and-gun.
Not by definition--obie lights are regularly used in feature/episodic production. The difference is making the source softer and less intense than the usual blast-'em look one associates with onboard lights. Last series I did Steadicam on I had to fly a Lite Panel on the rig whenever we did interiors, to add a little eyelight.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Whoops, did I really write that? Guess I was young and inexperienced in October... or maybe was down one cup-a-joe. Well, I was partly right in reference to horror work .

Charles is quite right regarding use of on-camera lights other than run and gun, such as for eye highlights and wrinkle-softening.

For those unfamiliar with the techniques, a little gleam in the eye is easily created with relatively low watts, and greatly helps the sense of dimensionality.

The story goes that Merle Oberon (glamorous film star of yesteryear) insisted on an on-camera light to soften the contours of her face, and the resulting light/technique was called the obie light. Or so I've heard.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Moses
I purchased the flood version and was very impressed with the color. The brightness was a little low though. I bought the focused version and wow what a difference, not only is it bright and throws a beam but you can diffuse it and it's brighter than the flood version. I now have 5 focused and 1 flood. I made a housing to mount 4 bulbs together.
Gary
Shawn, I was responding to your original question. It looks as though this thread got confused.
Gary
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Anyone have a good source for these MR16 LED lamps?

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:

Good to know, Gary.

What fixture are you using to hold your LED lamp? What LED lamp brand did you get?

Can you describe a bit more of that housing you made or show some pictures?

How do you power them?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Carlos, they are the bulbs that Shawn is refering to. I originally got the flood. It worked fine but didn't have much of a throw. I bought the focused version and was very impressed, it's a 50watt equivalent. If I need soft I put diffusion over it.

As far as fixture, I have a single MR-16 fixture but I wanted more versatility. I built a 2 bulb fixture out of masonite. This weekend I'm putting 4 floods into a housing with a switching scenerio to give me more options. I bought multiple bulbs for $28 a piece.

They powered by any 12 volt source.
Old January 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
As far as fixture, I have a single MR-16 fixture but I wanted more versatility. I built a 2 bulb fixture out of masonite. This weekend I'm putting 4 floods into a housing with a switching scenerio to give me more options. I bought multiple bulbs for $28 a piece.
What I mean is what light head are you using. How do you clip it to the camera?

Quote:
They powered by any 12 volt source.
Are you using 12v batteries or some booster?

The good thing on these LED lamps is they allow you using camera batteries, that you boost to 12v.

Carlos
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Carlos, I made the light head.
The bulbs work on 12 volt, no booster needed.
They only draw about .3 amps/12 volt so you can run these things all day.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby
Anyone have a good source for these MR16 LED lamps?
ahemm... never thought I'd have to quote myself :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby
ahemm... never thought I'd have to quote myself :)
Ledtronics. Why don't you call them for your nearest dealer?

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/mr16-45/
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Carlos, I made the light head.
The bulbs work on 12 volt, no booster needed.
They only draw about .3 amps/12 volt so you can run these things all day.
That's why you can use a video battery, boosting the 7.2v voltage to 12v.

If possible I would like to avoid buying 12v batteries. They are too heavy.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management