What gives? Kino KF55 lamps burning out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 29th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Inner Circle

What gives? Kino KF55 lamps burning out?

Hi all:

In the past two days, I have had three different Kino KF55 lamps burn out. I think I may have a bad batch or has anyone else been experiencing this? They seem to get darker in the middle of the lamp, then the middle goes out, then the whole lamp goes dead eventually. Kind of bumming me out since they are $22.00 ea. and should last a long time. These were all brand new lamps with less than 30 minutes on each.

They have done this on three different fixtures, used in three different locations so I am pretty sure it's not the fixtures.

Does anyone have any good substitutes for Kino lamps for the Divas? Need daylight and 3200k ideally.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you using these with Kino ballasts?

Is the Kino ballast set to the correct setting- i.e. use the Std/2ft setting for 2 ft tubes and use the Hi/4ft setting for 4 foot bulbs. Overdriving 2 ft bulbs makes them green and burn out faster.
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi:

These are the 55 watt Biax tubes that are used in the Divas.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Haven't really used the Divas, but if you use them vertically, be sure that the base is at the top, and the tips of the tubes are at the bottom. Apparently problems arise when you run it tips up.

If you are still having problems, call Kino Flo

Best,

-M
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett
These are the 55 watt Biax tubes that are used in the Divas.
KF55's have been running fine in my Kino Flo Diva Lite's for an entire year. I was wondering if you were using actual Kino Flo Diva Lite's or your own homemade setup? There are many different kinds of ballasts out there. Is there a chance you have a 65W ballast instead of a 55W? I can only wonder what happens if you put a 55W lamp on a 65W ballast... Ok, probably exactly what you're describing.
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #6
Major Player

I did get a 5500 bulb i think the batch was "511" which is the number on them and i tried to use it but it would not fire. I had it as a spare that i got maybe 2 months ago. Is this the same as yours?
Marshall Staton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM   #7
Tourist

If you solve this, please let me know...

My divas have been going through lots of lamps too and it's frustrating. First the middle two lamps start failing (won't fully illuminate), then all bets are off.

Speaking of which... Who are you guys buying these from?
Dan Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Trustee

Dan,
Sounds like you have a bad batch. Definitely contact Kino Flo Welcome to Kino Flo Lighting Systems for Film, Photography, Video & Tv to find out if they will replace them. They are pretty responsive to any issues I have questioned them on. Their website lists email contact for service etc.
I have noticed the lamps are very sensitive to temperature and often need more warmup time as they age but never had one fail to light if properly installed. Sometimes they take a long time to fully illuminate.
There are different sources for the bulbs than Kino. Barbizon in NY sells both Kinos True Match and Osram brand bulbs. I use a combination of both. HTH
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management