DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Stupid reflector tricks...

Can anyone assist me in pointing me to an explanation about how to fold a large reflector back into the case? I should have noted how it was folded up before opening it.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Trustee

This one vexed me too! You need an assistant to hold one end still while you twist the other end, collapsing the reflector.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You're talking about the disc-types that collapse and blow up right?

1- Use both hands and hold the reflector out in front of you.
2- Most people will naturally hold the reflector with both palms facing the same direction (i.e. everything is symmetrical). You need to take one hand off and put it back on the reflector, except with your palm facing away from your body.
3- Twist the reflector, sort of like how you'd wring a towel.
4- The reflector should start bending.
5- You want to keep twisting until you see three circles in the reflector.
6- Push the circles together.
7- Put the whole thing in the case.

I honestly hope that makes sense.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

Not necessarily so. I have a 42" 5 in one deal. Both palms can be facing the same way, but it seems you have to hold your arms apart at the same vertical height, i.e. not have one arm higher on the reflector than the other. Then twist your hands in opposite directions. At a certain point, you'll want to move your arm to make the twisting easier. Don't! Force the reflector to twist upon itself using just your hands, and it'll form the right shape to collapse it.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the replies guys - this is a big sucker, a 6'x4' elliptical that I got from B&H a few days ago. I'll keep practicing. Maybe a good first project with this equipment will be to make a training video on how to fold one of these...! (I have seen a video to do this a while back, on a vendor site, but before I thought I was going to buy one of these things, and I don't remember its location).
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #6
Trustee

Big Reflector folding issues

My recipe for folding big uneven reflectors...

Start out by holding one corner at about waist height with the opposite diagonal corner away from you and resting on the floor.

Now think giant TACO! Fold the corner in your hand toward the far corner until you can bend over, match the corners, and gather them in one hand.

In this "taco" configuration, notice that the taco ends are looping down and inward. Encourage them. Use your free hand to overlap these two "end hoops" (up and under) as as you do this, you'll notice that with these two "hoops" overlapped, the original gathered edges can slide one over the other and the whole shebang should slide into the packable "3 hoops" configuration.

Just think lay it out diagonally, then THINK TACO.

Takes practice, but once mastered, you'll never forget.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #7
Trustee

Listen to Bill. He is wise. I fortunately found this method randomly while wrestling with my 4x5 reflector. His description is better than I could have written. It would probably take me three paragraphs to describe what Bill said in one word - "taco".

Wait, you know the ends of the hard-shell taco where the juices drip out? When you fold the reflector, those ends need to start moving toward each other. Think "fold the taco and spill the juices and ingredients out the ends"! :)

I fold mine lengthwise. I don't think you need to do it on a diagonal.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi all:

Good thread, Bill is a wise man.

I have the ChromaFlex 8' x 8' green screen. It's square with rounded corners. It took me a while to figure out how to fold it up but they key for me was twisting it until I saw the mythical "3 rings". Once you see them, you just rotate them until they are all about the same size, then it fits into the case.

BTW, I have made $20.00 on a bet that someone inexperienced COULDN'T fold this thing up within 20 minutes. It is tricky until you have done it a few times.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management