DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #31
Major Player

Another frame grab from a different video

Here's another frame grab that I'm putting up for constructive criticism. I know the first problem with this one is the mixing of indirect sunlight and tungsten lighting, but aside from that, please let me know your opinions for improvement.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Interview Lighting-phyllis.jpg  
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #32
Major Player

You need more flat fill on the left side. By flat I mean a source closer to her eye level. I think it would help with the deep shadows on her face that are no flattering and may be distoriting the overall shape of her face.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #33
Major Player

Okay, as a glutton for punishment and trying to get this right, here's one last frame grab from an interview I shot. First, she's reading a script that is too low, so her eyes are slightly shut, and due to what I've learned from previous post on this thread the camera is too low (slightly shooting up her nose). Also I should have had her lean forward in her chair to help eliminate her double chin. But what else could I have done to make this shot better?

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Interview Lighting-foty.jpg  
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #34
Major Player

Yup, camera is too low. If the tripod was about a foot higher, it would be more flattering... focusing on the eyes instead of the chin.

Also, you might want to try to flattening out your lighting for women in general and not model their faces so much. DP Walter Graff explains it quite well here: http://www.bluesky-web.com/soft.html

HTH,
Brian Brown
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #35
Major Player

Thanks for the link, Brian. I found it very useful and informative.

Up until now, all of the frame grabs I have posted were shot before I started this thread. I hope to do some test with what I have learned here and then post a couple frame grabs, and hopefully you guy will let me know if I have improved any. Thanks so much. I'll post the next grab in about a week or so.

Keivn
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #36
Major Player

Glad to help, Kevin.

I'm pretty "green" on lighting setups and theory. I just bought John Jackman's book on lighting, but I think I'm also going to buy Walter Graff's DVD instruction set on lighting: http://www.bluesky-web.com/new-pagemerchandise.html

He's offering both DVDs, head shot and general lighting, about 3hrs of instruction for $65.

Might be something you're interested in also.

Take care,
Brian
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #37
Major Player

Atta' Boy

Hi Kevin,

Everyone seems to be helping you with constructive feedback so let me give you some positive feedback you may or may not have considered. On the shot of Phyllis, I you were trying to obtain the Hollywood "golden triangle" effect on the cheek opposite the keylight, congratulate yourself - good job. Also, on Phyllis, if you were trying to setup a small kicker to give her eye the classic sparkle effect, give yourself another pat on the back. (but watch out for the the backlighting issue and camera composition on her shoot)

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #38
Major Player

Thank you for the post Mike. I always appreciate an "atta boy." It's always very helpful to know what was done right in a shot, especially as I'm still very young as a videographer. Sometimes the criticism, even when I know it is what will make me better (and I've asked for it), goes down easier with an 'atta boy', so that you.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #39
Major Player

Interview lighting

Rehi Kevin,

Good for you. It would be easy for us to point out things on the Phyllis clip such as the color balance issue, but I'm sure you noticed that on your own. And we all need a bone from time to time <wink> and I'm glad you and I are of the same ilk - give us the bitter pill that makes us get better yet give us some encouragement for the things we're doing right (and maybe didn't even think about it).

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #40
Major Player

Back for another beating please...

So I'm back again with a frame grab from a recent interview. I've tried to take to heart all of the tips and input that I've received earlier on this thread. So here it is, and as always don't hold back, but be constructive...
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Interview Lighting-frame-grab-1.jpg  
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #41
Major Player

This looks really good. The equal of a lot of what I see on the A&E crime shows and similar cable content.

My one quibble is that it seems just a tad dark, but that reaction could be a function of my Mac gamma.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #42
Major Player

Wow, that looks nice. Very warm and inviting. The hair light and spill on her shoulders looks great to my eye.

In the future, you might try a little bounce from below to soften the shadows on the lower part the face... on women, anyways. Men can always be modeled more dramatically.

Nice!
Brian Brown
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #43
New Boot

Looks pretty good - maybe a little dark for my taste. My only quibble is that her left shoulder and arm seem to blend into the background. Her face is nicely lit, nice catchlights in the eyes.
The background has interesting splashes of light, I'd have liked more in the lower right.
Phil Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #44
Major Player

Thanks for your input. It does seem that I need to buy another light to help light up the background and perhaps ad a contrasting color.

Here's another frame grab from the same project. Once again, please don't hold back on your constructive criticism...
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Interview Lighting-crystal.jpg  
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #45
Major Player

Hey there, I really don't want to judge any of your shots because I find them all pretty good (I can see you have an eye for good lighting, something I hope I have myself). But there's one thing I'd like to be critical about: the old lady at the top of the page gets the key light clearly from the opposite side of her interviewer. I really don't like that in most cases. But, as I said, I don't like it - that doesn't mean it's wrong or anything - just to me it doesn't seem to work well in interviews. You have done it differently in all your other shots (key from the interviewers side), so you probably know what I mean :)

Last edited by Heiko Saele; March 14th, 2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: grammatical changes due to non-native speaker errors ;)
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management