Paint for Mole Richardsons at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 16th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Paint for Mole Richardsons

I have some older Moles I would like to touch up, however I can not find Moles red paint.
Does anyone know where to get some?
I have Googled and Froogled it to death, all I can find is Moles White, Silver and thier Chromakey paints.

Thank you,
Bill
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
I have some older Moles I would like to touch up, however I can not find Moles red paint.
Does anyone know where to get some?
I have Googled and Froogled it to death, all I can find is Moles White, Silver and thier Chromakey paints.

Thank you,
Bill
Try http://www.mole.com/ If you can't find it on there, try calling them because I know they carry the paint for redoing/touchups.

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Mathew,

Thank you for the response, I have checked the Mole website and tried emailing them (no answer.) So I guess I will have to call.
Even on their site all I could find was the Hi-Temp White, the reflective aluminum coating and the Chromakey paint.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Mathew,

Thank you for the response, I have checked the Mole website and tried emailing them (no answer.) So I guess I will have to call.
Even on their site all I could find was the Hi-Temp White, the reflective aluminum coating and the Chromakey paint.

Thanks again,
Bill
They may not have it on their website, but I know they carry it. I looked into when I was refinishing some older moles I bought off ebay. In the end I ended up spraying my moles with high temp spray pay and then covering that with appliance simi-gloss spray paint. It's held up very well, but then again I am the only one who touches the lights also.

Btw, the pain your are looking for is called Mole Maroon Enamel.

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Matthew,

Thank you for your continued help.

This is the route I think I am going to take.
Krylon makes some Hi-Temp paints.

XMetal; Red 2302 good to 500 degrees (F.)

Rust Tough; Radiant Red RT A9210 and Burgundy RT A9221 good to about 220 degrees (F.)

BBQ & Stove; Red 1623 and Propane White 1507 good to 1200 degrees (F.)

I'm thinking using the XMetal red for the Fresnels and the outside of the softlite and the Propane White for the inside of the softlite.

I had not thought of clear coating them I might do that as well.
I too will be the only one using the lights so I know they will not see rough treatment.

I really would like the original color but once they are done and they look nice I’ll get used to it. :-)

Actually when I saw the XMetal colors it briefly crossed my mind to paint them in a red, white and blue scheme. Hmmm…??? :-) Just maybe...

Bill
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Matthew,

Thank you for your continued help.

This is the route I think I am going to take.
Krylon makes some Hi-Temp paints.

XMetal; Red 2302 good to 500 degrees (F.)

Rust Tough; Radiant Red RT A9210 and Burgundy RT A9221 good to about 220 degrees (F.)

BBQ & Stove; Red 1623 and Propane White 1507 good to 1200 degrees (F.)

I'm thinking using the XMetal red for the Fresnels and the outside of the softlite and the Propane White for the inside of the softlite.

I had not thought of clear coating them I might do that as well.
I too will be the only one using the lights so I know they will not see rough treatment.

Bill
You will need paint that goes to 1200 for the lights. 500 might do it, but I have heard that over an hour of use will get it pretty dang hot. My suggestion would be to look up online to see if you can buy a commercial paint that's high heat and is also a simi-glossT hat way you don't have to put two kinds of paint one--maybe just two coats.

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management