Tips for lightning in MA gym (a bit long) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 24th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tips for lightning in MA gym (a bit long)

Hi, I have two situations I would be greatful for any tips/tricks.

Equipment and limitations:

Dv creator kit (tota,omni,pro) with Rifa-55, and a 5-1 reflector. I also have a regular work lamp on tripod :)

The room is not very big, but a nightmare without controlled lightning.
The walls are wood, the roof is wood, there are large windows on both 'longwalls' with some thin drapes. One side is outside, one side is inwards towards a riding hall, with much halogen.

All around the room, there is halogen lamps on the upper part of wall (towards ceiling). I did some freehand shooting there, and I get unwanted practicals almost no matter where I point the camera. ( I put in a few pictures taken from their web site). The one end that is not shown on these pictures, are filled with abig, red drape.

I was thinking I would use that for a background for some freefighting.

What would be the best utilisation of the lights I have available ? (I have started enquiry about how much power I can draw, but have gotten no answer yet)

Situation 2: I also want to change the interview setup a bit, to be a 'demostration' set. I was thinking to drop down a blue cloth (only have black and blue available, and cant use black as many of the particoners wear black outfits.

I was thinking perhaps using the rifa and reflected tota to just raise the lightlevel, but I think this will produce too much shadow. There are no white walls to bounce light off.

This is not a hollwood presentation, but I want it to be as good as it can
Attached Thumbnails
Tips for lightning in MA gym  (a bit long)-senter1.jpg   Tips for lightning in MA gym  (a bit long)-senter2.jpg  

Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Anders, What are you shooting? I think you mentioned an interview. How many people, what does the client want?

If you are just getting a talking head, you just need to light the subject and a small portion of a background wall. You don't necessarily have to light the entire space.

Or, if you want the entire space behind the person, the light level for the space can be about a stop lower than the key. Shooting in DV, you'll want the aperture to be wide open, or close to wide open.
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mark.

I think I got the interview pretty much covered, I will use 3 point lightning + a dash on the backdrop.

This is an information video about philipino martial arts, they fight with sticks, hands and knives. I have some shots from actual training, some shots we did in an outdoor session, but I also want to put in some demonstrations and some freefighting.

For the demonstrations I'm going to use a 2m wide backdrop, and frame the camera so it covers the backdrop from left to right. What I'm unsure about is the best way to light this. Should I use regular key/fill ? Omni for key and a reflected tota for fill ? Should I use Rifa and reflected tota to just bring up the general lightlevel ? Should I get in a hair rim ?

Same goes for the demonstration of freefight, only difference is that the 'backdrop' is wider as the fighters need more room to move in (2m is not enough)
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

ps: As for number of people:

The demonstration will be one and two (some applications shown by one, other stuff like when they disarm a knife and such will be with two).

Freefighting will be 2 people and a judge, so that will be 2-3 on set.

I will try to get a shallow DOF, and then I need light. I have yet to test how far back I can move the camera, and how far from the wall I can get the players before those pilars in the room becomes visible.
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management