Light on a Boom Pole at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Light on a Boom Pole

I have recently seen footage from "behind the scenes" of a number of location shoots that show a person holding a light source on a boom pole. I've seen this so many times now I think it must be a standard practice.

Does anyone know how these light booms are rigged? What kind of sources are used? How are they powered etc?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Hmm, the ones i have seen are china balls following the actors to provide a constant source of light as they move around. These would be simple as they would just wrap the cord around the end of the pole and run power with extension cords.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Major Player

The last one I saw was in an episode of the program on the Food Network where a chef stalks people in grocery stores and offers to make them a meal. There are long shots where you can see the whole crew following the chef around with camera, a boom pole, and then the pole with the light . . . definately not a China ball, but it did look like some kind of diffusion material and a gel was wrapped around the front.

Saw a similar rig being used for a dolly shot for Prime Suspect 7, also not a China ball.

Could be just as simple as an on-camera light mounted on the pole, I guess. I was hoping someone with experience might be able to explain the ins and outs.
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It is very common, I’m sure you watch Monday Night Football on ESPN, you’ll notices that sideline reporters Suzy Kolber and Michelle Tafoya are nicely lit. The same goes for Andrea Kramer on Sunday Night Football. There’s a light-man carrying a battery operated HMI light with a small soft box mounted on a boom or a monopod.

There are several of these HMI units on the market, they usually have a 200w maximum power and are operated by a 30v battery belt. K5600 has a nice unit that has a combination AC/DC power supply that can be powered by a 30v belt or two AB bricks with mounts built into the unit.

Also many light manufacturers (Lowel, Frezzy) that make on camera tungsten light also make lights or have accessories for existing units that can be powered off 12 or 30 volts batteries belt.

www.EFPlighting.com
Nino Giannotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Nino, just what I wanted to know.

If I watched more football maybe I would have known . . .
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Nino's Web Site

Just went to Nino's Web site linked to above. Excellent resource! You should go there now or soon.
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just discovered Nino's site last week; haven't covered it all yet, but thanks Nino, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and any OTHER nice names you'd like to be called :=) Thanks again... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management