Lighting setup options for Arts Charity - a few opinons please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting setup options for Arts Charity - a few opinons please!

Hi folks,

Just wondered if I could have a few opinions on a lighting setup I am budgeting for at the moment. I work for a creative arts charity in the UK making short films with kids and and other aspiring actors.

We are about to get around £2500-£3000 ($4500-$5500) for a lighting setup which we can use on you short films and also hire out to other local organisations and firms to hopefully give some income and sustainability to the project.

Just to give you an idea of what we will be using it for: The last film we did was a film noire style (which was shot entirely with practicals!) but the next one could be anything, it really depends on where the kids go with the script. The kit will also be used for hire on corporate video interviews and product shots, as well as filmic style sermon illustration videos for a local church and small music videos - largely used indoors.

We are thinking of a KinoFlo Diva 400 and 3 head dedolight kit, with a few extras such as softbox, egg crates and gobos.

Another important consideration for us is health and safety - especially with kids around - so not too much heat - and using them on domestic power circuits. Along with low running costs too!

I suppose it is a big ask for the budget, but do you thing this would be a sensible and versatile choice?

Jim

(btw: I have doubled this posted up on the DVXuser site to get a good range of opinions! thanks for taking the time to read it!)
James Collinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Old Boot

* "It MAY BE You!!" - Having previously worked in the Community Arts field, on many arts projects, and before you launch into spending cash you have found hard to "win", you might do worse than enquiring of the National Lottery Arts Funds. There may very well be a sum of money specifically for such an endeavour. Plus the Nat-Lot would like to know that the funding would assist OTHER community groups too!

* Try B4 U Buy: Anyway, what ever you come down on considering in terms of your actual lighting, consider "hiring" before buying, just to be clear as to what you may purchase.

* H&S : Speak with the BFI (British Film Institute)for direction and potential assist and guidance.

Tell you what - - - this has ALL the hallmarks of a stonking project in itself. I bet if you played your cards right, you could potentially be involving the lighting company and "others" into making it work for you.

Think broader, wider and the detail WILL fall into place.

More power to yah elbow! Good luck!

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Graham, good advice especially with regard to the H&S - will check that out!

We have been going for a few years now - and have appiled to the lottery and many others for the second year running. We have been awarded money from a council fund for the lighting. We originally submitted a budget for hire but since many of these funders will not give grants for ongoing or running costs such as hire, they asked us to resubmit on the basis of purchase - and were keen that we could hire out our kit to give some long term sustainability to the project.

We have actually been helped by a local hire company previously - they gave us gear for a film we were shooting with kids in a local hospital, but dont really want to strech the relationship to much - they have been really great!

I have to get a quote together in the next couple of days for this lighting setup - what do you guys think? A wise choice?
James Collinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Major Player

The Diva 400 is an excellent instrument. Not quite as soft, or as flexible, as a 4-bank, but much more portable *and* it has a built-in dimmer on top of the 2-light/4-light switch. I think it's a great choice. Don't forget to budget for lamps, since you'll want a full set of both daylight and tungsten temp lamps plus a spare of each.

The Dedo units are a little harder. I love the Dedo lights. They are very even, very controllable lights with a lot of punch in a little package. The only downside is that they are expensive. For the price of a 3-head Dedo kit, you could probably get 5-6 small fresnels (150w-650w) from Arri or Mole. A lot depends on the style of lighting you are after.

One other thing you might consider would be a second soft-light source. So a Chimera to go with one of the fresnels, an open-face and Chimera combination, or maybe a Diva 200. Especially for interviews, I find that second source to be a big help.

Also, don't forget about all the grip stuff to go with the lights: C-stands, flags, clamps, sandbags, gels, etc., etc. If you do any outdoor work, a small overhead kit (like a 12x12) is very helpful.

Good luck, and if you stick with your original selection, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management