DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 21st, 2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting question. please help

I am relatively new to certain aspects of videography, i have shot a few mini corporate videos and live events.

I have the opportunity to film an apartment my friend is selling, my question is, and suggestions on lighting? i have no lighting experience at all, so i am really not sure what kind, power, filters ect to use in the apartment to light it properly.

I will be using a canon xl h1 / possibly a sony z1
a track and mini jib
Possibly a wideangle lens

and would to shoot in 24f to give it that film look.

Any advice very appreciated.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lunn
I am relatively new to certain aspects of videography, i have shot a few mini corporate videos and live events.

I have the opportunity to film an apartment my friend is selling, my question is, and suggestions on lighting? i have no lighting experience at all, so i am really not sure what kind, power, filters ect to use in the apartment to light it properly.

I will be using a canon xl h1 / possibly a sony z1
a track and mini jib
Possibly a wideangle lens

and would to shoot in 24f to give it that film look.

Any advice very appreciated.
What film look?

Shooting 24f will make it look like, well, like 24f. To create cinematic looking images on a video camera is a whole lot more than a switch on a camcorder. But you're in the right place for help.

My advice would be to keep things simple. Good composition and some nice jib and dolly moves should see you all right. Don't try using the jib on your own - that's a good way to break your camera - and don't use more than 2.4K of light - at best you'll trip the system, but you could burn your mates flat down.

Use as much daylight as possible and only light when you have to - keep it broad and soft. By all means experiment if you have time but generally keep it simple until you build up some experience.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall
and don't use more than 2.4K of light - at best you'll trip the system, but you could burn your mates flat down.
Ha ha nearly spat my soup over keyboard. lol funny.

Thanks for the advice, I also want to shoot at night, ie candles and that from a dreamy feel looking over leeds. hence advice :)
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Major Player

You say you are going to film the apartment . . . for what purpose? To market the apartment? Market it where? To whom? Are you going to showcase certain features of the flat? These are the questions you have to start with to decide how to light he place: the story is the starting point.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lunn
I also want to shoot at night, ie candles and that from a dreamy feel looking over leeds. hence advice :)
Dreamy. Leeds. I thought I said keep it simple...

Only kidding. Use CTO on tungsten lights bounced off the ceiling, or off gold reflectors, with a daylight white balance on the camera that should give you a nice warm feel. Sounds like fun.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Andy,

You didn't say anything about what kind of lighting package you would use, so...

I'd approach this one of two ways -

1) Lots of small instruments to pick out architectural features of the apartment and give depth and richness to the scene. Overhead pools of light, grazing side light, uplight, there are lots and lots of options. Depending on the space, there may be some practicals that you can press into service. Rigging will be complicated and time consuming, but you should get some very nice shots.

2) China balls. Bigger is better for this. Fast, easy and cheap, they'll give you a nice, even level of illumination over the whole room. The "look" will depend more on the interior designer of the apartment and less on the lighting.

Hope that helps.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Keyser
Andy,

You didn't say anything about what kind of lighting package you would use, so...

I'd approach this one of two ways -

1) Lots of small instruments to pick out architectural features of the apartment and give depth and richness to the scene. Overhead pools of light, grazing side light, uplight, there are lots and lots of options. Depending on the space, there may be some practicals that you can press into service. Rigging will be complicated and time consuming, but you should get some very nice shots.

2) China balls. Bigger is better for this. Fast, easy and cheap, they'll give you a nice, even level of illumination over the whole room. The "look" will depend more on the interior designer of the apartment and less on the lighting.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the help guys. its to sell the apartment, and i may use it as a tool to try and get more work selling apartments. Its to go on a sexy website, but i want to use it to show whats acheavable.

Whats a china ball? is that a daft question? and when you say small instruments, what do you mean? i guess i could do a training course on dvd regards lighting, i will have a ganders on google. Thanks again, i will let you know how it goes.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, please do let us know how it goes.

A china ball is one of those round, paper lanterns that you see around Chinese and Japanese festivals. For lighting, they are usually just plain white paper using a Photoflood bulb.
http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.n...hitchinla.html

They also come in fabric versions if you use them alot.
http://www.jemlighting.com/
http://www.chimeralighting.com/products/lanterns.cfm

China balls cast soft light in all directions, so they are great for lighting spaces. You can also paint them or use blackwrap to control the spill.

By small instruments, I mean 150W-300W fresnel instruments, or Dedolights.
They will give you the small, controllable pools of light I was thinking of for the first lighting scheme.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM   #9
Major Player

I suggest you find some photos( google,etc.) of apartments that have the look your after.Then look very closely at the shadows and hilights and try to determine how it was lit.
In order to maximize the "selling" aspect, I suggest very slow camera pans, no zooming and only show the key features.However, you can shoot them from numerous angles.Each different angle may require resetting the lighting.
Softbox and china balls are an excellent suggestion,however the small controllable lights will give nice accenting.If you have time to study lighting that will certainly help.Google lighting tutorials ,there are many.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management