Using green screen for interview background? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 24th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Using green screen for interview background?

I have a number of interviews approaching for a documentary project that need to be made on location, and I'm considering using a green screen instead of a regular background, with the idea that this will give me greater options in post.

Has anyone attempted this on a project?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sure, I'm working on a small doc for broadcast now and shooting the interviews over green. We've shot our background plates, marked the focal lengths for wide, medium and close-ups and will be shooting the interviews next week.
Paul Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Major Player

If you're in a hurry on interview sets, you have to do a couple a day for exemaple, on different locations, then try out the Reflecmedia Chromaflex solutions: http://www.reflecmedia.com/content.a...chromaflex.htm . I used it to do some quick chroma key shots on location with some kids with the down syndrome, when they where standing somewhere I quickly put the chromaflex behind the subject, but to lights only on the kid, pointed the camera and started shooting.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Paul, Vincent, thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, which chromakey software are you combining with this? I'm toying with using Ultra, but I've yet to hear of anyone using this professionally.
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
New Boot

What camera are you guys shooting on?

I have been given a green light from my company to invest in a light kit, camera, tripod, mics...etc. The works. I have to shoot an industrial video for an Offshore Technology Conference in houston in the last week in April (many other videos will follow). I really wanted to key our head of operations into the video so that he would have less explaining to do at the conference and give people a better idea of what they are looking at.

I am going with a cannon but didn't know if I could accomplish this with the A1 or if I needed to get an H1 or G1 because of the uncompressed video.

I am also curious about the software.
Johnson McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Recently I used the build in key plugins from Apple's Motion. Works like a charm!
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I have been using the Chromaflex system for the better part of a year. It works very well. I shoot mostly with the HVX-200 although I have used the Varicam and F900 as well.

The only large drawback of the system is using it with people with glasses. The green LED ringlight will show up in the reflections from their glasses. You will have to key in a white/gray gradient behind the talent's head so that the green ring light reflections turn into mere lights reflecting. It requires an extra layer in the composite and more time.

And as far as teleprompter, forget it, we still have to do greenscreen the traditional way, the ChromaFlex will not work through a prompter.

Other than these two issues, the ChromaFlex works like dream. Highly advised. I would estimate I have now shot close to 100 interviews for various docs using greenscreen, it is a pain as far as post but it does let you selectively control your BGs more.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Trustee

I think the last line in Dan's post about sums it up for me.

I do it occasionally, in fact, my studio is set up to do green screen interviews as I write this - but every time I set it up, I cringe - knowing that for every hour I spend shooting, I'll probably spend three-four times that much time shooting or finding background footage to run in the key, editing it, tweeking the matte, fixing stuff with garbage matts, etc, etc.

It think of greenscreen work as a "productivity killer" and a last resort unless the nature of the shoot REALLY requires it.

I do it on some of my own projects when I have time to futz around, but hardly EVER suggest it on a client's shoot unless the content compels is and they have a budget that supports all the extra work.

FWIW.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Dan;
The Chromaflex system looks like a great idea, obviating the need for any extra background lighting, but running at more than $2K for the lowest price bundles, it's unfortunately out of my current budget.

Bill, thanks for the advice, and with my limited experience in using green screen keying, I think you're correct, but the ability to modify the background in post would be very helpful for my project(s).
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Ultra 2 is quite easy to use and gives good results even sometimes on unevenly or wrinkled backgrounds. I've been using it for almost 2 years.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #11
Major Player

In respect to the Chromaflex system, what would be the difference between using that or a Digi-Slave light ring,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=469329
with a green/blue gel attached (which has the advantage that you can swap keying colors) and some cheap reflective fabric (probably sourced from China)? That whole setup would probably be way less than $1000
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
In respect to the Chromaflex system, what would be the difference between using that or a Digi-Slave light ring,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=469329
with a green/blue gel attached (which has the advantage that you can swap keying colors) and some cheap reflective fabric (probably sourced from China)? That whole setup would probably be way less than $1000
A lot of difference. The other system all works together to make a background that will key out but keep the person (or whatever) in the foreground from keying out with it. What would keep the person from having green/blue light from spilling on them with the light ring you mentioned? Its a totally different idea and wouldn't work at all. Good try though. That's the reason those systems are more expensive because they have a particular fabric and a particular wavelength of light that work together to make a key without spilling strange colored light on the foreground.

I've seen these systems work and I don't think they are 100% perfect though as many would portray them.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski
A lot of difference. The other system all works together to make a background that will key out but keep the person (or whatever) in the foreground from keying out with it. What would keep the person from having green/blue light from spilling on them with the light ring you mentioned?
Richard, I'm sure that you've probably forgotten more about lighting than I'll ever know (and I don't mean that sarcastically), but in this case I believe that I'm on the right track; the Chromatte system's elegance is in its simplicity. In theory, you do get some spill on the subject, since the light is pointing right at them. The assumption is that this is "drowned out" by regular subject lighting, and that pretty much all of the reflected light from the special reflective material is directed back at the light source (i.e. the lens area), so the LED light source doesn't need to be that bright. I've used Scotchlite extensively in a professional context for many years, and it really works very well.

Quote:
That's the reason those systems are more expensive because they have a particular fabric and a particular wavelength of light that work together to make a key without spilling strange colored light on the foreground.
I can believe that their system is more expensive because they're using colored diodes in a ring, which is probably a custom build, but I'm not convinced that the material and lights are wavelength-matched.

Quote:
I've seen these systems work and I don't think they are 100% perfect though as many would portray them.
My suspicious nature also tells me it's not a foolproof system - hopefully I'll win the lottery this weekend and be able to get a system to play around with.
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #14
Major Player

Well, why not try it and report back then. Just make a fluorescent ring light and gel it and give it a go if you've got some scotchlite or something similar. Maybe you'll come up with an interesting DIY version of that system.
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Well, why not try it and report back then. Just make a fluorescent ring light and gel it and give it a go if you've got some scotchlite or something similar. Maybe you'll come up with an interesting DIY version of that system.
Richard, will do.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management