I Need Advice for a Student Production! Please Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1
Major Player

I Need Advice for a Student Production! Please Help!

Hi!,

I am a first year broadcasting student at Niagara College. We are currently working on TV show pilots, and I am the producer for ours. Up to this point in our schooling all we have done is interview style 3-point lighting. We are now forced to create a number of sets, and various lighting grids, with a whopping $50 dollar budget. That should go far. Our largest set is of an office, and will consist of a long wall, against which will be a water cooler. We hope to use decorative wall mounted lights on both sides of water cooler to give it a more upscale and busy feeling. Most of the action will happen beside the water cooler. We would also like to simulate fluorescent lighting as you would find in most offices. What would be the best way to pull this off? Would we need to adjust for colour temperature variations? We have a solid lighting grid, however our light selection is limited. We have a few scoops that we tend to use as keylights, small broads for fills, and fresnels that tend to be used for backlighting. In addition we have a number of Colortrans at our disposal. We would be able to get our hands on some gels and diffusion paper, but have not used any of these in the past. Any help would be appreciated. I have a few ideas of my own, and would be interested to bounce them off anyone willing to lend an ear.

I may be able to send/post a drawing of the set if that would help.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Perhaps some diffusion (silk) on your lighting above and then color correction later until you get the effect you're looking for is what pops into my head at the moment. Perhaps I'll have another idea later.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Nate, you might find this thread helpful:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86059

Although this was lit with fluorescents, you don't have to.

I'd consider using your scoops overhead (that's right, pointed straight down) to simulate ceiling-mounted fluors, and fresnels with diffusion as fills (just enough to fill, watch this closely).

If you have any instruments left you can consider backlights, but they aren't neccessarily motivated by the scene. I'd start by making sure that the office wall is lightly colored enough that talent is clearly defined without backlighting... then, if needed, add a kicker to simulate an off-screen window. Some people like to add 1/4 CTB to cool down the kicker in this situation.

Lighting controls are very important for this setup - the main lighting is overhead, everything else is just a suggestion of light, the minimum to get the job done.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Update

Thanks for the replies so far! Here's an example of how we want to make the set look, basically the same colours, and have some photos light up on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
I Need Advice for a Student Production! Please Help!-setexample.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management