DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 14th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Nature of reflection

I'm going to be lighting/filming a staged dance production. The producer is in the process of obtaining a new backdrop for the stage. Last years was bright orange/red, with interleaved satin/almost matte layers inset in black frame. The reflection was very very hard to match between camera A (front) and camera B (offset).

For the new backdrop, the producer is looking at something in a greyish tone. We are telling her to get something matte or velvet. However, being a grayish/light charcoal, would the reflection really be all that bad or color-changing if the backdrop were satiny? How much would the light color change when reflecting off of a grey-ish/charcoal-ish shimmery backdrop? I wouldn't think the color would change that much, but thought I might check somewhere where people know more than I do....

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Major Player

The mat part is good. I don't know about the "velvet" part.

I've used a piece of velvet before as a product backdrop and I can say that I thought the color could change based on angle of my camera and lighting. To me, velvet seems to be a very "directional" fabric. Have you ever noticed how you can run your hand across it and it leaves a swatch of a lighter or darker color? I probably would have picked some kind of polyester based fabric. The color you picked is fine though. Neutral gray backdrops and cycs have been used in Television since the beginning.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management