Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Trustee

Lowel 2k soft light

Hi guys,

I came across a Lowel 2k Softlight - "two 1000watt globes bounce of silverbacked fabric that attaches via velcro"

I can't find anything about it on the Lowel site and the description says "Comes with foam lined timber transport box." which make me think the thing's more than a few years old

any opinion? anybody used this light?
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i bought one back in 1980- still have it ... haven't used it in years -today i rent all lights ...
i found 2k was just too much light - so i used 2 500w lights
the optional barn doors help some controlling the light ... i always added diffusion ( opal or heavier) ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Of course, given that it's an incandescent you can dim it as you like with some minute change in color temp as you get dimmer.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Donatello View Post
i bought one back in 1980- still have it ... haven't used it in years -today i rent all lights ...
i found 2k was just too much light - so i used 2 500w lights
the optional barn doors help some controlling the light ... i always added diffusion ( opal or heavier) ...
Don, what do you mean "too much light?" The last missing piece of the kit I'm putting together happens to be a Soft light and I was trying to figure out how much light would be too much for lighting the talent in a 12'x15' room. So you think 2k is too much, huh? But 500W would be too little, and since I'm not gonna be placing two 500W soft lights on their faces (or should I?) then perhaps a 1000W would be the right choice, if there's such a thing available. What do you think?
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Modern video cameras are much more sensitive to light than they were in 1980.

A 2k has become a special-purpose light as far as the prosumer world goes. Nothing wrong with the Lowel 2k softie per se...

if you are looking for a soft source and have decided on a dedicated light rather than something on a reflector or through diffusion, you should be looking at Chimera softboxes, Photoflex softboxes, and I like the Lowel Rifa 55 a lot. This is a softie that lamps with a 500w, but is as bright as most 750w and many 1k soft boxes. Quick to set up, light and small.

Like most Lowel gear, it takes some care for it to last. Personally, I'd rather have something small and light and take care of it... I'm done lugging 75 and 100Lb. light kits.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I have two of these lights - I don't use them all that often but when I do I'm happy with the results. I usually run them with 800w globes but have also used 500w, 300w & 1kw in them, so lots of different options - just don't try to change them when they're hot.
The box doesn't sound original, the Lowels came in a fiber type case before they switched to plastic.
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #7
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

too much light =
i have the older style -one switch turns on both lights ( newer model had switch for each light) ... i usually used this for interviews & on location - 2000 watts of light 4-5ft from subject i would have to add ND so i could shoot at 2-2.8 ... i believe lowel makes a upgrade kit ( new wiring with 2 switches) so you can turn on one light at a time ...
also 2k is allot of amps to pull from home plugs ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management