DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VX-2100 camera light recommendations

I'm looking for a camera light for my VX2100 as an accessory to have when needed, from what I've seen, it handles low light very well, but I'm sure there will be situations where some extra camera light will be needed. I'd like to go with forum sponsors and am looking to buy (and be delivered) by a week from today. I found a nice one at B&H for about $90, but they are now taboo around here. :)

I'm looking in the sub $150-125 price range.

Thanks in advance.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't know that B&H are taboo. They are still an OK company to deal with but one has to understand their business habits.

BTW, a discussion on lights belongs on the lighting forum. but I'll answer it here.

A $90 light is probably not going to be satisfactory unless it is fairly unusual. Most low-priced lights have uneven light dispersion and it is very apparent in the video. Even the 'big' lights like the NRG VariLight Pro need some help. I think I spent a bit over $90 for a softlight attachment just to smooth the light out and avoid a deer-in-the-headlights look.

The best little light that I've found (and is recommended by some other videographers) is the Sunpak CZ-200. The lens is frosted in the center to even out the light, the focus can be changed (and it works) and it has a automatic output level capability that really works well in conjunction with a camera in auto exposure mode. It also has a manual selection if you want full power (battery doesn't last as long). It, unfortunately is powered by NiCad batteries (it comes with one) and not the Sony LiOn batteries. At least it also includes the charger.

To quote the web page of one reseller: "The ReadyZoom CZ-200 offers up to 27 minutes of color corrected light as well as zoom control. It is powered by the same 6 volt camcorder battery used on Sony, Panasonic and JVC (as well as equivalent models sold by Nikon, Ricoh, Kyocera, Magnavox, Phillips, etc.). Adjustable beam provides focused light for distant images and, by sliding the zoom lever, can instantly cover a wide-angle group shot. Bounce/tilt capability for softer lighting control."

Your mileage may vary.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus View Post
I don't know that B&H are taboo. They are still an OK company to deal with but one has to understand their business habits.

BTW, a discussion on lights belongs on the lighting forum. but I'll answer it here.
I'm not trying to cause problems. :) I had posted about B&H and was told they weren't a sponsor, even though as recently as February 07 they were listed as one when reading old posts. If you could direct me to a forum link as to their "business practices", I'd like to know so I can make and educated decission for future purchases. Otherwise how would an end user know otherwise? I even saw a post stating to buy from them from a forum moderator, so didn't know not to buy from them. I'm new to the list and am trying to follow the rules. I don't know the behind the scenes with what makes a sponsor a sponsor (or why they no longer are) and want to support sponsors who support this site.

To clarify, I should only ask about the physical camera itself in this forum and nothing else? Accessories for the camera should be covered in other forums, even though they deal with the VX2100? Please forgive this newbie as I'm learning the rules of the forum. :)

Sincerely,
Grant

p.s. Thanks for the reply about the light. :)
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Grant. We like our members to support our sponsors whenever possible and the easiest way to do this is clicking on the "Sponsors" link in the menu bar at the top right of the page, which will take you here: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/

We try to keep questions about lights in the lighting forum because someone with a GL-2 or FX-1 might also be interested in the same kind of thing. It also helps cut down on duplicate questions which makes it easier to find answers in the future using the Search function. And it will get you a better response, since you limit your readership by placing the question in a specific camera forum.

So I'm moving this thread to the lighting forum, and changing the title to indicate you have a VX-2100; that'll give you the best of both worlds :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sunpak CZ-200.

Hi Mike,
do you know a place online where I can buy the Sunpak CZ-200?
Kim Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

does anyone?
Kim Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Google returned five or six likely looking places.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Major Player

here's one listing, but you have to by about $3k of paperweights to get the video light !! :-)

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1181192

had to paste the link.. see if you can see the light amongst the junk

... seriously though I think sunpak lists vendors on their site by state and maybe one of those does mail order..

good luck!!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Look at the Sony HVL-20DW2 20-watt Video Light. It is less than $100 and uses the same batteries as the camera. The VX2100 doesn't need much light, so the ability to go down to 10W with only one lamp on could be handy. I don't have this light, but a friend does and it seems quite bright.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I use the Sony HVL-20DW2 video light and find it useful when the situation calls for it. To soften is up a bit, I use OM-EZ Omni-Bounce for Canon. It fits the Sony light perfectly (without blocking the vents) and snaps right on without having to use any velcro.
John Rakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management