Lowel iLight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lowel iLight

Hey everyone, I just bought two Lowel iLights over the internet and realized my XL2s have only 3 pin XLR jacks and the iLight has a 4 pin. Is there an adapter I can purchase so I don't have to find new lights? I can't seem to find any.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I hope you won't try to plug your lights into the audio inputs.
Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Not super familiar with the XL2, but you'll probably need a separate battery system for your iLights. Check out Bescor products at forum sponsors. As Gary has hinted, the 3-pin XLR connectors on your camera are audio inputs for external microphones and other sources.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I realized that the XLR ports are for audio only. I'll just have to get batteries for them. Thanks.
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #5
Trustee

Those iLights are notorious for picking up wind noise if you don't use a zeppelin.

;)
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nicholas, I have 2 of the I lights as well as 6 of the Pro lights. The 100 watt I Light will need 8.3amps dc. I have always used 7 amp/hour gel batterys that are made for emergency lighting. They are heavy and last about 1/2hour to 45 minutes continous.
Not pleasant but that's the only choice you have. As you can tell, you cannot run this light off the camera battery, if that's what you were thinking.
Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Those iLights are notorious for picking up wind noise if you don't use a zeppelin.

;)

now THAT was funny!!!!
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Was wondering if anyone can suggest a inexpensive battery pack for the iLight? I have to buy two and that's why I can't spend too much (limited budget).
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Major Player

ups batterys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Valentine View Post
Was wondering if anyone can suggest a inexpensive battery pack for the iLight? I have to buy two and that's why I can't spend too much (limited budget).
What about the batterys in uninteruptable power supplies for computers and so on? They come in different sizes and don't cost too much via ebay.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #10
Trustee

The 7AH gel cell batteries are really cheap. If you ever do get a budget, there is a 12v 10AH NiMH pack for $110 at batteryspace.com that weighs two pounds less and can handle the draw better than a lead battery.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Check out the bescor stuff. You can get 18 and 20Ah packs or belts with chargers and dual outputs for under 200 all day. I was surprised by how reasonably priced they were.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #12
New Boot

I use a 15Ah motocycle battery with my iLight. The battery has to remain upright to avoid leaking sulphuric acid. I put the battery in an insulated lunch bag I got at a second hand store for $1.50. I don't use it often, so I don't mind toting around the battery in my lunchbag. It operates the 100W bulb for over an hour. The best "feature" of the motorcycle battery is that it cost about $25 for the battery. It's not an ideal setup, but for a light I use 5 times a year, it works.

I also use the 12V battery to power a small inverter that charges some of my other batteries or powers my camera in the field. With an 18W solar panel feeding the 12V battery, I can work outside all day (when there is sun) without ever draining my batteries. That may be the only good thing about shooting in broad daylight.
Douglas Toltzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for everyone's advice. I just ordered a Bescor BEBES015XLR
with a Shoulder Pack, Lead-Acid Battery 12v, 14.4 amp hours - Cigarette and 4-Pin XLR Connectors, with BC-1000 Charger REG

If this works out, I'll be buying the second one by the end of the week.

Thanks again everyone. You've been VERY helpful.
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management