DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Need suggestion for lights under $900

I need to purchase a lighting kit for some video work. I would like the kit to include a couple of softboxes. Where is a good place to start for $900? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I found this.

http://www.pclightingsystems.com/tungsten/tungsten.html

Not sure if this is a good deal or not?

Thanks...
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Tim--

I was just in your shoes very recently! I researched and finally bought a (minimal) lighting kit (tungsten) from ebay; it has light heads capable of holding 500w and 1,000w bulbs; came with 3 different sized soft boxes, and just 2 light stands (bought a third light stand, and will be coming in soon); also bought a rolling soft case to put everything in. All for less than $400.

It isn't a Mole-Richardson, nor a Lowel kit (and I still have to see about the longevity factor), but it definitely fit our budget.

Don't know if it helps,

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Take a look at Lowel Omni Pro lights and then see what you can get on eBay. These lights get very small, cool quickly and you can get all kinds of accessories (including lightboxes, snoots, scrims, ...) from Lowel but also many other places. I guess that's something to consider: can you buy accessories 3 years from now? Where can you get accessories or additional fixtures...
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Wrangler

I like using frame panels over softboxes. I find I have more control especially when using them with fresnels. It's easy to change the quality of light by adusting the beam, or moving the light closer/further away. In addition, they are still useful even without a powered light. For example, as a changing room for your talent. I bought this "kit" for ~US$1,000. It's been 6 months and I haven't used my softboxes since. It's also a fairly portable.

+ 2x Arri fresnels (650 watts)
+ 2x Photoflex frame panels (39x72)
+ assorted accessories: barn doors, fabrics, t-clamps, small reflectors/holders, frame clips, stands etc.

To save a little money, you could switch out the Arris for a lower wattage, or go for some Lowels (Omni, Pro, Tota), but if you're already "mostly there", the 650s are worth the extra mile.

* Gotta love the 1702 Commodore monitor
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Tim, I too am in the market for a light kit (I'll probably go with Arri). I took a look at the light kit from the link you posted. It almost seems too good to be true for the very cheap price. I wonder if it is the eMachine of light kits. The kit looks great but I wonder if the parts are cheap. I'd like to find someone who has used it.
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Thank you all for the suggestions. Sorry for the delay getting back to everyone. I've been away.

I was hoping that someone had experience with
http://www.pclightingsystems.com/tungsten/tungsten.html

I'll take a look at some of the other suggestions now.

Thanks again!
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Major Player

I found this....

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=94302

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management