DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 13th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Arri Kit out of Stock @ B&H

Anyone know where I could buy this kit somewhere else?

It has been out of stock for a month. Hope they don't stop carrying it. I called Arri and they said its a kit B&H put together.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Thanks,
OD
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't know where you can get a similar kit, but for whatever it's worth, I don't know ANYONE who uses those metal scoop "softlights".

Maybe I'm just ignorant and they're the bees knees, but in all my years I've NEVER seen one on location or in a studio setup I've worked on.

Personally, I think the design is a bit screwy. You get a fixed area of light prodution that while bigger than a typical insturment, it substantially smaller than a real softbox and therefor won't really wrap light around anything much bigger than a head a 2 feet distence - which is TOO CLOSE to be comfortable, particularly for a 1k fixture.

It doesnt' look like it's light is controllable by anthing short of blackwrap and it looks too heavy to pack around very easily.

In the space of one of these clunkers, you could carry 3 tota lights with bags and grids and get MUCH more flexibility.

YMMV

Anyone with experience who LIKES these want to weigh in?

Is there something I'm missing on the odd "scoop" approach?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the heads up, I am new to lighting so I have no idea really, I just read a post here that someone loved that kit.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...highlight=arri

What ARRI kit would you recommend for $1500 - $2500?

Thanks,
OD
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just used one

Hi Bill:

I recently shot a few days of EPK in Miami on a feature. The DP I worked with in Miami brought one of these. I agree with you as far as the quality of light. He put some diffusion on the front of it but then it was much less controllable than a Chimera/Rifa type of light with an egg crate.

These lights are common in studios for lighting cycs etc. but as a key source, I wouldn't buy one. There are smaller, lighter and better looking solutions.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Major Player

If your talking about the "ziplight" or "softlight" as they are known in the picture, you can find those all over the place in Hollywood--mostly the old Mole variety. They are the "old time", heavy-duty answer to what the softbox is now. You can see them a lot both with and without big, wide aperture metal eggcrates on the front. It's true though that the surface area of diffused light is nothing like a 24 x 24 or 24 x 36 commonly-found softbox.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #6
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
Anyone know where I could buy this kit somewhere else?
It has been out of stock for a month. Hope they don't stop carrying it. I called Arri and they said its a kit B&H put together.
I'm sorry it's been hard to get, but according to our database the kit is Arri # 571986, not someting we've cobbled together. When a product is a B&H "kit," there's usually no manufacturer's product code and the page on our site says "B&H Kit" in dark red letters.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management