Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Recommend a Soft Box Light in the UK??

Hi,

Im looking to get a Big soft light for some indoor stuff im videoing..

i already have a basic lowel kit (2X pro lights and a v-light).

Im looking for a light and softbox to add to the setup - i have looked at the lowel rifa-lite but it seems quite expensive in the uk and was wondering if there are any alternatives i should look at.

any good UK online stores you would recommend

is importing from the US an option? anything i need to consider?

Many thanks for you help!

Phil.
R. Phil Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you are anywhere in London few next few days I'd suggest coming to the Broadcast live show and having a look at the different models.
Kathy Stannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3
New Boot

re

I live in Belfast so am unable to get to it... :(

Thanks for the suggestion tho...
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Major Player

An Alternative?

Perhaps you have already thought about this Phil but here is an alternative...

Soft boxes as you know are expensive and if you buy cheap they will not last long. Over the years we have used all kinds of soft boxes whether purchased, or made for a specific job. One fairly simple way to get that "big softbox look" is to make a frame (plastic piping from a DIY store that can break down is cheap/modular and easy to use as opposed to a wooden frame) and attach diffusion material to it - Opal sheet (Plexiglass in the USA) is very nice and is available from plastics companies, or of course diffusion gel from a lighting supplier.

Make your frame to the desired shape - shoot through, pref with barndoors to stop any side spill. When using a custom frame size it enables you to shoot with more than one light source.

Another way - is to purchase a shoot through diffuser (folding type) and hang it on a lighting stand - then with barndoors attached, shoot through it.
This is great for when time is short but you really want that softbox catchlight in a persons eyes.

You can of course purchase frames with diffusion to be used with C stands but once again they don't come cheap...

...or of course you could simply bounce the light of a reflector....

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Wrangler

Another recommendation for the shoot thru frame panel. Very flexible & portable solution. It can be used with almost any light.

For stores, see DV Info's UK sponsor - VideoGear
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM   #6
New Boot

re

I think this might be an option as this will be mainly used in situ so i wont need to move it much if at all...

what would you recommend for a new key light? im happy enough with the lowel pro lights but would like something a bit more powerful to add to my kit.

im also thinking about using a white out background... any sugestions for a good solution?
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #7
Major Player

As you know Phil - Much depends on the type of work you do or expect to do and the budget your working with... you did not say what indoor stuff your shooting.

Depending on your budget, for a key light it's always nice to be able to have well built lamps like the Arri 650 (the 300 is a bit limited) and 1000 (you can pick these up on ebay - just be careful of old/well used ones) as these can be used for many jobs. The focus beam / fresnel glass gives you further creative control.

For general interviews we tend to go with an Arri 650 (barndoors controlling light spill) with a portable diffusion frame (this is used in the studio and on location) on larger sets we use 1k + lamps with a large diffusion frame to light up larger sections of a room. We own a fair number of lighting products (and each has its place) and hire in for special jobs, but I have to say that the set up I mention above is probably the most widely used buy us for smaller areas.

The main problem with the larger lights indoors (800w redheads and up) they draw a great deal of current and can easily blow a standard household fuse - a room can get very hot, fire hazzard becomes more an issue (gels / materials too close to the lamp) it will burn a bigger hole in your pocket (electricity bills) and heat from the lamps will turn your Human subjects skin tone red. Use heavy duty cable extensions, try not knock the lamps when they are on or have been on (expensive to replace - can get some good deals on ebay)

White background (you did not say what you are filming - small or large area) - you can get flex frame panels that spring out in various sizes - this is a great way to do things quickly and is very portable. You can purchase a background pole (attaches to 2 photo stands) and purchase a white roll of B/G paper by the likes of Colourama or hang a drape (various widths) or build another frame and paint it white, or of course there is always chromakey - once again it is going to depend on what your short or long term requirements are and whatever you are filming.

Hope this helps... Stu
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #8
New Boot

re

thats great info! thanks for taking the time to help out... much appreciated!
R. Phil Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management