DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Private Classifieds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-classifieds/)
-   -   Buying from DVinfo members (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-classifieds/26587-buying-dvinfo-members.html)

Michael Best May 26th, 2004 10:01 AM

Buying from DVinfo members

I just wanted to make a general comment that I just recently purchased two cameras from members of this forum. I am absolutely impressed. I was concerned about undocumented transactions but you guys are very professional.

I'll look here for anything before going to ebay.

Thanks!

Imran Zaidi May 26th, 2004 10:05 AM

I myself have had many great transactions through this forum. Part of the reason is definitely that we all use our real names here, and that generates an environment of professionalism, honesty and camaraderie. We can thank Chris Hurd for that! (And of course, the whole community for being on the up-and-up).

Ken Tanaka May 27th, 2004 01:17 AM

It's very interesting, actually. We've never tried to determine how much gear has been sold through here but, as you can see, the total must be impressive. I, myself, have sold two cameras and several accessories here with no hitches.

To my knowledge there have only been two incidents. Both turned out to be buyer/seller misunderstandings and were resolved to mutual satisfaction. (We do not / cannot intervene in any transactions.)

As Imran indicated, the fact that DVinfo is based on openness makes a difference. It feels more like a community than an anonymous electronic bulletin board. Also, folks here know what they're buying and selling.

Glen Elliott May 27th, 2004 08:36 AM

Yeah this forum has been very helpfull to me as a seller as well. In the past 6 months I've sold my DVX100, GL-1, Canon WA lens, Canon VL-TLi video light, software, etc etc...all in completly smooth transactions.
It's nice to be able to sell here beings I've never used Ebay and people would be reluctant to buy expensive gear from someone with NO feedback record. I've definitly put some milage on this site which definitly helps in the customer feeling comfortable with large sales.
Thanks to all who are responsible for the creation and maintinance of this fourm including all moderators!

Mike Cavanaugh May 27th, 2004 08:40 AM

As one of the transactions Imran mentioned, I was very nervous when considering making a large investment (for me at least) with a seller and product sight unseen. The steps Imran & I took (multiple e-mails, a couple of phone conversations) and continious open communication (mailed check today - recieved check today - camera mailed - camera recieved etc.) made the process enjoyable and productive.

That said, don't take the fact that people are on this forum as a gold standard for integrity. Caution should be exercised with all transactions, wheter the folks are forum members or not. Not everyone here or elsewhere are as honest as we would like to believe.

Joe Cirino May 27th, 2004 10:27 AM

I think success is partly due to maturity of the members of this forum.

Imran Zaidi May 27th, 2004 11:51 AM

Oh and also the references to cowoby phrase-ology (i.e., Wranglers, etc.).

The idea of being wrassled to the ground and hog-tied keeps ne'er-do-wells at bay...

Michael Wisniewski May 27th, 2004 01:17 PM

I've also had a good experiences both buying and selling on DV Info.

Perhaps we could change the titles from regular crew to "little doggies" ...

Mark Monciardini May 27th, 2004 09:35 PM

Lets also keep in mind that anyone can join this forum and pretend to have lets say "a $3000 camera" and just say "send me the money and it's yours" so still be very carful.

Make sure to get their phone number, or even a copy of their drivers licenece if you are really unsure about somthing.

Good luck!

Glen Elliott May 27th, 2004 10:47 PM

That's why you don't buy from newbies.

Dylan Couper May 27th, 2004 11:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Oh and also the references to cowoby phrase-ology (i.e., Wranglers, etc.).

The idea of being wrassled to the ground and hog-tied keeps ne'er-do-wells at bay... -->>>

I always felt it was the branding with a red hot iron that was the big deterrent.

Robbie Smolinsky May 28th, 2004 05:42 AM

What really sets these forums apart from any other is the community of people here. I have never found another board online quite like this one, its an oasis on the web. I have bought and sold cameras and accessories here, and I have never run into a problem of any kind and have always been able to turn here for help. So thanks all, its the people that read/post/reply to threads like this that make DVInfoNet a great resource!

Bob Safay May 28th, 2004 05:06 PM

I agree. I log on every day to see what you all are up to. It is like comming home to read email from friends. As for this thread, I have purchased the 14x from this forum and never, never had a problem. I guess you can say that we would be to ashamed to rip each other off. Bob

JM Underwood August 30th, 2004 03:57 AM

It's good to hear you guys reporting such good experiences with buying/selling here.

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Cavanaugh : That said, don't take the fact that people are on this forum as a gold standard for integrity. Caution should be exercised with all transactions, wheter the folks are forum members or not. Not everyone here or elsewhere are as honest as we would like to believe. -->>>

I am new here, and was somewhat put off by my first attempt to buy from a forum member. Looking back now, perhaps I over-reacted, and posted some feedback that I shouldn't have while I was still upset by the emails from the forum member. But every email I received from him, after the first, was very offensive. He was very defensive about all my questions, made totally wrong statements about paying through PayPal, trying to pressure me into paying by money order.

Perhaps he didn't mean to, but to me, these were all the signs of someone who is trying to rip you off, even though he has been a member here for about 10 months.

So, it's good to know that most of the time sales go well here. But like Mike suggests, it's best to always proceed with reasonable caution. The very best con artists work by first becoming well-known and well-liked by the "in-crowd" they are trying to con.

Let's hope that seldom, if ever, happens here.

Best Regards.

Nick Hiltgen August 30th, 2004 09:12 AM

Maybe not regular crew but new boot to "little doggies" if I had to work up to little dogge I would probably be on 2-pop.com still... (not that that's a good or bad site just the first one I could think of... )