Buying from DVinfo members at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Buying from DVinfo members

I just wanted to make a general comment that I just recently purchased two cameras from members of this forum. I am absolutely impressed. I was concerned about undocumented transactions but you guys are very professional.

I'll look here for anything before going to ebay.

Thanks!
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #2
Trustee

I myself have had many great transactions through this forum. Part of the reason is definitely that we all use our real names here, and that generates an environment of professionalism, honesty and camaraderie. We can thank Chris Hurd for that! (And of course, the whole community for being on the up-and-up).
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It's very interesting, actually. We've never tried to determine how much gear has been sold through here but, as you can see, the total must be impressive. I, myself, have sold two cameras and several accessories here with no hitches.

To my knowledge there have only been two incidents. Both turned out to be buyer/seller misunderstandings and were resolved to mutual satisfaction. (We do not / cannot intervene in any transactions.)

As Imran indicated, the fact that DVinfo is based on openness makes a difference. It feels more like a community than an anonymous electronic bulletin board. Also, folks here know what they're buying and selling.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah this forum has been very helpfull to me as a seller as well. In the past 6 months I've sold my DVX100, GL-1, Canon WA lens, Canon VL-TLi video light, software, etc etc...all in completly smooth transactions.
It's nice to be able to sell here beings I've never used Ebay and people would be reluctant to buy expensive gear from someone with NO feedback record. I've definitly put some milage on this site which definitly helps in the customer feeling comfortable with large sales.
Thanks to all who are responsible for the creation and maintinance of this fourm including all moderators!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #5
Major Player

As one of the transactions Imran mentioned, I was very nervous when considering making a large investment (for me at least) with a seller and product sight unseen. The steps Imran & I took (multiple e-mails, a couple of phone conversations) and continious open communication (mailed check today - recieved check today - camera mailed - camera recieved etc.) made the process enjoyable and productive.

That said, don't take the fact that people are on this forum as a gold standard for integrity. Caution should be exercised with all transactions, wheter the folks are forum members or not. Not everyone here or elsewhere are as honest as we would like to believe.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I think success is partly due to maturity of the members of this forum.
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #7
Trustee

Oh and also the references to cowoby phrase-ology (i.e., Wranglers, etc.).

The idea of being wrassled to the ground and hog-tied keeps ne'er-do-wells at bay...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #8
Wrangler

I've also had a good experiences both buying and selling on DV Info.

Perhaps we could change the titles from regular crew to "little doggies" ...
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Lets also keep in mind that anyone can join this forum and pretend to have lets say "a $3000 camera" and just say "send me the money and it's yours" so still be very carful.

Make sure to get their phone number, or even a copy of their drivers licenece if you are really unsure about somthing.

Good luck!
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #10
Wrangler

That's why you don't buy from newbies.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Oh and also the references to cowoby phrase-ology (i.e., Wranglers, etc.).

The idea of being wrassled to the ground and hog-tied keeps ne'er-do-wells at bay... -->>>

I always felt it was the branding with a red hot iron that was the big deterrent.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

What really sets these forums apart from any other is the community of people here. I have never found another board online quite like this one, its an oasis on the web. I have bought and sold cameras and accessories here, and I have never run into a problem of any kind and have always been able to turn here for help. So thanks all, its the people that read/post/reply to threads like this that make DVInfoNet a great resource!
Robbie Smolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #13
Trustee

I agree. I log on every day to see what you all are up to. It is like comming home to read email from friends. As for this thread, I have purchased the 14x from this forum and never, never had a problem. I guess you can say that we would be to ashamed to rip each other off. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

It's good to hear you guys reporting such good experiences with buying/selling here.

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Cavanaugh : That said, don't take the fact that people are on this forum as a gold standard for integrity. Caution should be exercised with all transactions, wheter the folks are forum members or not. Not everyone here or elsewhere are as honest as we would like to believe. -->>>

I am new here, and was somewhat put off by my first attempt to buy from a forum member. Looking back now, perhaps I over-reacted, and posted some feedback that I shouldn't have while I was still upset by the emails from the forum member. But every email I received from him, after the first, was very offensive. He was very defensive about all my questions, made totally wrong statements about paying through PayPal, trying to pressure me into paying by money order.

Perhaps he didn't mean to, but to me, these were all the signs of someone who is trying to rip you off, even though he has been a member here for about 10 months.

So, it's good to know that most of the time sales go well here. But like Mike suggests, it's best to always proceed with reasonable caution. The very best con artists work by first becoming well-known and well-liked by the "in-crowd" they are trying to con.

Let's hope that seldom, if ever, happens here.

Best Regards.
JM Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #15
Trustee

Maybe not regular crew but new boot to "little doggies" if I had to work up to little dogge I would probably be on 2-pop.com still... (not that that's a good or bad site just the first one I could think of... )
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds