HDVIDEOPRO magazine at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Major Player

HDVIDEOPRO magazine

Has anyone seen this magazine. It seems to be pretty darn good. I just bought my second issue and I am considering a subscription.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Major Player

It's published, I believe, by the company that does Outdoor Photographer and Digital Photo Pro,mags I used to read monthly until I realized that most of the articles were thinly veiled advertisements either for the artist or the equipment. I still read occaisionally-in fact I picked up this month's edition for the article on the platypus workshops.

I know all periodicals are driven by advertising, but I started to get the sense I was reading one big Canon or Nikon ad, at least with the photo magazines, since the majority of the contributors were also evangelists for particular manufacturers.
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Major Player

While I'm always on the lookout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
...most of the articles were thinly veiled advertisements either for the artist or the equipment.

I know all periodicals are driven by advertising, but I started to get the sense I was reading one big Canon or Nikon ad, at least with the photo magazines, since the majority of the contributors were also evangelists for particular manufacturers.
for new sources of info, I'm not familiar with this particular mag, but I do find myself in basic agreement with this observation. Some mags do a better job than others, and I realize they must tread lightly on products in order to attract and keep advertisers, but it seems to me that the pro's are too often highlighted while the con's seem to get short shrift.

When considering new equipment, I research forums such as this, and those where product reviews are written by actual consumer-users (like epinions.com), in addition to mags. (I suspect I'm not alone, there). That said, some articles, e.g. "How-to's, are helpful, and often too hard to find outside of tutorials intended for purchase (which often don't fit in my budget).

Overall, I'd describe mags as offering a "spoonful of dessert", or maybe a snack, while an authoritative book offers an entire meal to satisfy my hunger for understanding and info. While I don't partake of such "meals" often enough, they provide more than the cliche'ed empty calories or even a sandwich.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I read the magazine, I'm pretty pleased with it. Many reviews on equipment, etc. Although yes, it seems to be ad driven, but then again, which magazine is not? Also, considering that each magazine is around 5 or 6 dollars, and the subscription is 19.95 for 6 issues, might as well save a few bucks, yeah?
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

After buying 2 issues off the stand, I subscribed. I'm a relative beginner experience-wise, but have a lot of technical knowledge overall. So far (3 issues), I've been quite impressed with the quality of the info and writing -- it's not nearly as useless and fluffy as I would have guessed initially, given my experience with similar magazines. It really seems to be put together by intelligent people and geared toward an audience much higher than consumer-level.

P.S. -- it's only published every other month at this point.
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Major Player

One magazine that does not seem very "Ad Driven" is MovieMaker magazine. It seems very information based to me. Very good articles.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It