Recommened books for audio neophyte? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old October 8th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommened books for audio neophyte?

I've learned enough about audio mixing to know I don't know enough about audio mixing.

Can anybody recommend a good book or two so that I can tell my limiter from my compressor and not hurt myself in the process?

Thanks!
jc

You mean I can get paid to do this?
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

Jay Rose has written two books. Might get them both.

I don't think Douglas has written an editing book YET (hint) but it would be good I should think.
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike's recommendation is excellent. Here's Jay Rose' audio production book at amazon.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #4

One is already in the works. While Jay's books are quite good from a recordists standpoint, they don't address the specifics of DV as well as I think they might could be approached. With some of the HDV compromises coming up, great audio practices are even more important. But it's in the works.

Our "BASICS OF DV" book has a LOT of audio information, from mic types and formats, to smart practices. The book is about 1/3 audio, 1/3 lighting, and 1/3 DV practices from composition to editing.
You can find a link on the VASST.com site.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here are the ones that I would recommend:

Most of these books are interviews with some of the masters... guys like Bob Clearmountain, Eddie Kramer, etc.

The Mixing Engineers Handbook - Bobby Owsinski - mine is heavily highlighted.

Modern Recording Techniques - David Miles Huber & Robert E Runstein - don't be surprised to find copies of this book lieing around in a real recording studio...

Behind the Glass: Top Record Producers Tell How They Craft the Hits - Howard Massey - lots of great interviews with the likes of Sir George Martin, Alan Parsons, etc.

All 3 are outstanding books.

The Art of Mixing uses 3d visualizations to help you see/hear how instruments and frequencies sit in the sound spectrum. It's pretty cool too.

Alex F

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It