Book re doing effects in Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old March 11th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Book re doing effects in Premiere?

Is there a book that describes how to achieve various effects in Premiere?

The problem with the Premiere manual is it just tells you the names of the various tools and gives a brief description of what they do from a technical basis. The book I'm looking for would describe how to achieve various effects, like "How to Get Picture in Picture" or "How to Pan and Zoom on Still Photos" or "How to Fade In from Black & White to Color," etc.

I know there are a lot of answers in this forum to questions about particular effects and there has been some talk about doing a FAQ based on answers in this forum. I think a book with a hundred or more effects explained would be very helpful though.

Anybody know of such a book?
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Online Tutorials

I came across this site last week that has demo's and video tutorials on how to create various effects. It's a great start, and you can even request specific functions for future tutorials.

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutorials.htm

Michael
Old March 12th, 2003, 04:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Adobe Premier 6.5 Bible

I picked up the older 6 version of this book and found it to be a very good hands-on intro. Comes with a CDROM.
It does not concentrate on only effects but goes from end-to-end with good solid basics. It is not a focus on effects how-to though.

I second the pointer to the Wrigley demos. I keep them all burned on a CDROM for quick easy reference.
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I also found out there's a book coming out in April from CMP Books called Adobe Premiere Editing Workshop. Since the book isn't out yet, I obviously have no idea if it's any good, but I've heard good things about other books CMP publishes.

The link to the book is http://www.cmpbooks.com/scripts/stor...store+inox9239
Old April 12th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #5
Tourist

I have a book called "Video Editing with Adobe Premiere 6.5" by Dave D. Peck, which is a great beginning/intermediate guide. It addresses the exact questions that you have, but, like the Bible, it is not a effects-centric manual. This book is really helpful if you are self-taught in premiere and need to learn some basic things that you have otherwise been learning the hardway. e.g., panning and zooming on still photos is very easy, you just have to know where to look. You can reach the author at dave@peckdesign.com, or go to www.delmarlearning.com for information on how to buy this book.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It