Tutorials, Books, Videos? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old June 16th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tutorials, Books, Videos?

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could supply me with some good links to resources on beginning my video training?

Thanks
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from JVC Pro HD to Read About It.

Roll up your sleeves and dig in!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Narrative, documentary, or other?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Tourist

For a comprehensive look at digital filming - from storylines and characters to preproduction story-editing, 2-D and 3-D, check out 'Developing Digital Short Films', by Sherri Sheridan. I've found it very inspiring and informational in every area of script writing and digital story telling.

You can find it here: http://myflik.com/
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #5
Trustee

You like that book? I felt like it was targeted towards pre-teens.
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Panoramic

I kind of expect a friendlier response from those on this list-it's supposed to be about helping others. I can see correcting misinformation but why slam an opinion?

As far as the requestor, i'd advise you to back up and start reading earlier topics with similar threads, Like:
What are your all-time favorite books/instructional DVDs?
Lotta good stuff there, and the thread at:
http://www.digitalcinemacourse.com/testimonials.html

I know some of these courses seem expensive, but I have been surprised at the wealth of information some offer. I have been in broadcast and corporate for 21 years, have a technical background, and I find that newer offerings are not the sketchy, vague beginners overviews of former days. Many are insightful and reach deep into reasons for techniques, including lots of tips a novice would spend years acquiring.

An example is the Hollywood Camera Work Master Course, dealing with blocking and staging for advanced scene planning. I didn't go to film school, yet I know these concepts better than most film school grads I have met and worked with, because I understand them and practice them.

Good luck to you.

Paul
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I agree with Paul.
The Digital Cinema Course is an excelent DVD set covering a wide range of subjects on film making.
I bought it a month ago and was impressed. I haven't been able to watch all the DVDs yet but will write a short review here soon.

If you can spent the money I suggest you do so. You won't be disappointed!
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cherrett View Post
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could supply me with some good links to resources on beginning my video training?
What kind of resources you are looking form? Check out Digital Juice website, ton of information.
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
What kind of resources you are looking form? Check out Digital Juice website, ton of information.
Absolutely. I watched some of their videos, they're great, and they're free!

The link is subtle; look for DJTV.

Chris, my suggestion would be to start out with a video camera, and try shooting some very basic projects. When you have a goal, it makes it easier to decide what you want to learn about. For instance, if you decide you want to try a Green Screen just for fun, you can search on-line and find all sorts of info on how to do this. There's no point in spending tons of time learning about Hollywood filming techniques like Paul is suggesting, if what you want to shoot is single camera docs. On the other hand, if you want to get into "digital filmmaking" then the courses Paul is recommending are just the thing you're looking for. I find training videos and books are great, because the information is always there for you to go back and view again when you need a refresher. On the other hand, taking a course can be really beneficial as you'll work with other people and solve problems that books or videos may not cover. I lean a little more to Paul's philosophy. I think there are some great resources out there that may seem expensive, but can be really worth it considering how much tuition can be these days. A good starting point would be the DV Creators "DV Enlightenment" DVD (dvcreators.net).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It