Varizoom VZ Stealth LX vs. Rock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Varizoom VZ Stealth LX vs. Rock

Hi,

I'm in the market for 1-2 LANC controllers. I just ordered the Varizoom VZ Stealth LX for my Sony Z1. My primary needs are focus control on a shoulder-mounted (DV Multi Rig) camera. Zooming would be nice, but that's secondary. For those of you that have the Rock, do you find that it's too easy to touch the zoom controller when your hand is manipulating the other buttons? That worry led me to ordering the Stealth LX over the Rock, though possibly my worries are unfounded. Any opinions from Rock users would are appreciated.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Spares...

If you go for the Varizoom - keep in mind their company policy on spares / repairs.
They require equipment returned to the factory for repair - even for something as simple as replacing the control cable on a Stealth LX which is a real simple job. They will not sell parts, ship parts or service diagrams.

Also be aware that even if you can do the repair job the Stealth LX has a minute grub screw in the end of the brass fader handle - and I've yet to establish whether its a torx head or allen head and guess what - Varizoom won't tell me or supply the parts to enable me to repair in field which could easily be done.

Keep in mind too that Varizoom are quite happy to give themselves an allowance of ten days from the day they receive a job - to the day they turn it around - so for a few minutes repair on a Stealth LX - while it may only take a few minutes - that is when it comes to the front of the queue.

My experience - the Stealth LX is damned good - just don't break it or the moulded on right angle jack plug (what I did)!
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers