LANC For my GL2 (ebay items) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

LANC For my GL2 (ebay items)

Hi All,

Looking to buy a LANC remote and stumbled onto ebay - saw the following which states that they work on the GL2.

Does anyone have any experience with these models?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Ash Varma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

$90 is cheap for a controller. I have not seen this brand controller for sale in the USA before.

It appears to be packaged by SAKAR, a name not noted in the past for high quality video/photo accessories. The one SAKAR photo lens I handled several years ago was junk. However, given that the controller is likely composed of mainly standard electronics, it stands a chance of working OK, except for possible issues with fit and finish.

I would not recommend buying it for serious use, at least until some reports are in. And if you do decide to order one, be sure you are satisfied with the return options if you do not like it, and share your results if you do order one.
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I purchased this LANC remote on eBay and filed a return request 10 minutes after opening the package. The remote is poorly constructed. The case is a very thin plastic and the zoom knob can be snapped off if you turn too hard. I honestly felt like I could crush the device in my hand.

I have heard that some people buy this remote and build a much sturdier housing for it. The time and effort needed to do that is probably not worth it, I'd say.
Sunny Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

That's one model I've never seen before. You get what you pay for in this business, although it sounds like it's overpriced even at $90.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I just ordered something that looks similar to the one above. I'll let you all know what happens...
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Well, I got the controller. After using it for one wedding, I'd say it's OK. I don't particularly like it's mounting method, but that might be because I'm used to something different. The biggest problem I had was that I kept hitting the + button when I reached for the REC button. It'll probably be ok once I get used to it.

BTW, mine has a different manufacturer's name. It's labeled BENK, but it looks 99% identical to the picture above.

More upon request...

Mark
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Update on "Benk" LANC controller

I've used it for approximately 15 weddings now, and had good results. This weekend, however, I broke the clip used for mounting it. I'm still working on another method to mount it, but in the meantime, for the price, I'd say it's well worth the compromise! I'll most likely buy another one...soon.
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Update to "Benk" controller postings

I came across a VERY good deal on a Varizoom, so the Benk is in the bag as a backup. However, in addition to the broken (and repaired) mounting bracket mentioned above, I've had to repair the LANC plug, too. I still think that for the money it's a great controller! Like I've seen posted here before, "You get what you pay for."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers