Best lanc controller for XL2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 14th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Bought the Bogen 521

Bought the Bogen 521. I was having the same problems, but NO MORE! I went through 2 VZ-Rocks with the same problem. One didn't work at all and the other jiddered. I got the Bogen instead, and love it. It's also cheaper. It's amazing how people assume price = quality. By the way I was using it on the XL2.
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #32
New Boot

Dude, I totally agree with you. After looking for months at zoom controllers, I finally got the opportunity to test the Bogen 521 (on a Sony HDV camera), and I found out that it was all I'd ever hoped for in a zoom controller. I don't really see how any other could possibly be better as far as the basic function (smooth zooming) goes. And I'm coming from the land of $1000+ studio lens zoom/focus controllers. I am at a loss as to how any of the more expensive LANC controllers could do smooth zooming better than the Bogen 521, because like I said, it was as good as I had ever hoped for (which was for it to feel like the pro equivalents).
Todd Eichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM   #33
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Aycock
Bought the Bogen 521.
What is the difference between the 521 and the 521PRO? Is the the ability to do progressive and custom zoom? I don't want to pay extra for the 521PRO, but if I have to in order to get the progressive zoom then I will.

Also, I've been having a rough time of getting info on the 521 and what it will clamp to. Based on what you've seen would it clamp to a Steadicam Merlin? I realize it's just speculation on your part, but I maybe you can offer a guess since you see how the 521 attaches to a base.
Brian Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #34
New Boot

Stealth-LX and the XL2

After dealing with an uninformed (and uninterested) lackey at a Calgary camera shop masquerading as a digital video gear provider, (note my disdain), and suffering a delay of over 2 months in shipping, I was finally delighted to receive my Stealth-LX to combine with my Canon XL2.

However, once I plugged in the unit, I discovered that manual focus was only available in ONE direction, and a post-script on the one-page manual stated that the 'Autofocus' button did not work on the XL2.

Put simply, if you are seeking a LANC controller to control manual focus on your XL2, do not buy the Stealth-LX.

Hopefully the PRO-L solves this, or what's the point of having a LANC controller when zoom isn't much of an option in narrative indie filmmaking?
Donovan Cerminara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #35
New Boot

a post-script...

I would like to add that Varizoom's page states the Stealth-LX's deficiency, when it comes to focus and the XL2, in the 'specifications' page, but doesn't really take pains to make that clear.

As my selection of the device occurred over two and a half months ago, I can't help but wonder when that update was made... And Varizoom, perhaps your suppliers could be better informed?

Anyways, still looking at the PRO-L. Fingers crossed!
Donovan Cerminara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I read somewhere that Lanc control of the AF (push AF for example) is not possible because the AF<>MF toggle on the lens barrel (both 20x and 3x) is a sliding switch.

I bought a lanc from ebay (a cheap model that comes attached to a tripod) that has +/- focus buttons.

They are good but inexact, useable for moving you to within 90-95% focus but fail to deliver tack sharpness because if you try to fine tune a nearly in focus image by pressing +/- you'll go past the mark because the button presses are too blunt.

I don't know how sensitive the zoom rockers on the more expensive lanc units are, but for manual focus via lanc to work you'd need to design something that had even more responsiveness to subtle finger movements. And I'm not sure that buttons or rockers would ever be able to duplicate the infinitesimal adjustments that you can make on a focus ring.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Any additional info on cameras supported for the Bogen / Manfrotto 521PRO

I was looking at the Bogen / Manfrotto 521PRO Compact Remote Control for Sony and Canon Camcorders. I have the canon xl2 but when reviewing the specs at BH photo the xl2 is not in the list.

Im wondering if this is true and the xl2 is nideed not supported or is it likely the specs are older and do not for one reason or another include the xl2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ct_Remote.html

just curious if any xl2 owners have used this and if so whats your experience.

Thanks
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I took a chance on this working with the XL2 and it ended up doing just fine.

Attached illustrations with it mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Best lanc controller for XL2-xl1.jpg   Best lanc controller for XL2-xl2.jpg  

Old July 26th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
I took a chance on this working with the XL2 and it ended up doing just fine.

Attached illustrations with it mounted.
How are the buttons on these ? Unfortunately, I'm unable to try these out locally , so I have to rely on your opinion . On a tripod, I can see how the nearly flush buttons would still work. I am interested in using this unit on a body harness support (DvMultiRig) and am wondering if the buttons are too sleek to locate without having to eyeball the controller. Do you think a mobile user will be fumbling over these buttons and always having to look at them to find the right one ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #40
Regular Crew

As far as the zoom controller toggle it seems to be placed in quite a natural position so your thumb finds it quite easily, the start / stop button is located closest to the zoom controller.

As far as the buttons go they are slightly raised, (feels like a raised dent) and are easily to locate by touch.

So far I am very pleased.

Last edited by Martin Smith; July 29th, 2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Which LANC controller for XL2?

I see Canon makes one that's fairly cheap. Does it have any advantages (for the XL2) over the many other after-market products out there?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:03 AM   #42
Tourist

manfrotto 523 pro

I use the Manfrotto 523 Pro lanc controller. It replaces the pan bar on my Manfrotto fluid head and is excellent for tripod use. The zoom control is very smooth and has three preset speeds or custom speed. It also has a push auto focus button which is very handy for obtaining quick focus when in manual mode.
All in all I wouldn't be without it.

David

Canon XL2, 20x Lens, Mac Pro, Final Cut Studio
David McLaine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers