Experience with zoom commander 11? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 13th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #1
Still Motion

Experience with zoom commander 11?

I am hoping to find somebody who has bought, borrowed, or heard of somebody with a zoom commander 11 or similiar models (the original or pro).

I am looking for some feedback as I would like to buy one. At $160US if it has two different zoom controls with speed control as well as the focus controls, it seems like it could do the job.

Here is a link to the controllers

I realize that it won't compete with the higher end zoom controllers, but in it's price range, do you think there is anything better and will it do the job on a dvrigrp?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated before i go ahead and purchse the wrong one.

Thanks
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #2
DV Rig Pro

Hi Patrick,

The zoom comander has some nice fetures, but to my opinion is too big for the DvRigPro. grip mount.

Since you are mounting it on the grip you will only have your thumb to oparate it. You will not be able to reach the upper part buttons.

The Varizoom Stealth is almost the same price and is compact enough for "thumb" operation. Of course, the Varizoom rocker, Zoe, and Manfrotto/Bogen 521 are also great.
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

One problem I ran into with the zoom commander was the mounting. They Velco the controller onto the mounting plate. Don't always hold too well. Also, you have to reach over the focus buttons to get to the zoom controls. This didn't work too well for me, I kept hitting the focus buttons by mistake each time I would Zoom.

Try the one of the VariZoom's or the Studio 1 ProZoom. I ended up with a ProZoom 2.

Here is VariZoom's website: http://www.varizoom.com

Studio 1's website is http://studio1productions.com

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Canon ZR-1000

The Canon ZR-1000 is about the same price as the zoom commander. It's what I use and works well, has good controls. It attaches to a tripod handle with a screw-on bracket. Don't know if it fits the DVRig.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:58 PM   #5
Still Motion

Thanks for the input Rob.

Do you or does anyone else know if the auto/manual focus button works similiar to the push auto function on an xl1s or pd170?

thanks
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:46 PM   #6
Major Player

I've used the Zoom Commander II on an XL-1 and the autofocus on/off button didn't even work. On my GL2's, it works as advertised. I quickly got used to double tapping it to use it as a push button autofocus. A fairly good controller for a tripod, but it does feel a bit big on my DVRig.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers