Lanc Repeater? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Tourist

Lanc Repeater?

I want to control two cameras with my Lanc Remote (Canon ZR-1000) I'd like a device that I can plug the remote in to and it then passes through the signal to one camera but then repeats the rec/pause (and perhaps if possible the standby/on) to a second camera. I don't need zoom control etc. on camera 2. Anything like that out there or DIY? -thx-
Steven Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Steven................

The Lanc is a three wire connection - + Live, Ground & Signal (but, off the top of my head, which relates to what connector on the plug needs to be determined).

It is possible that running a link as normal to one camera (+, G, S) and by the use of an intermediate connector running a seperate link to the second camera of ONLY (G & S) would allow both cameras to respond in unison.

If for any reason that didn't work, it would be a simple job to rig a switch to go from one camera to the other and operate them sequentially.

A multimetre, soldering iron, some plugs, sockets & wire and it's job done.

(Of course, if you don't own any of the above or wouldn't know how to use them if you did, it could be just a tad harder................)

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think Chris is on the right track, the LANC protocol is fairly simple, and a "splitter" should give you basic functions - good call on not connecting the + on both cameras... if you don't understand this, perhaps best to find someone to build the splitter for you.

You may have to cobble up your own though. As long as the cameras are on battery and not A/C, there shouldn't be any grounding issues from such a splitter.

Here's the rub - if you zoom on "one" camera, it would zoom both. IOW, the signal being sent can't be parsed so only certain commands are passed. It would work as though each camera was being controlled directly by the LANC. The only thing that occurs to me is whether you'd get any crosstalk or feedback on the signal. I have seen people out there building stereo camera rigs using a dual LANC control, but it's one of those "you are the engineer" tasks. If you don't have the chops, it's not a DIY job, and there is at least some risk of frying something while experimenting...

Another option for simple on and off is the wireless remote if both cams IR sensors are in range.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers