Bogen remotes sticking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 31st, 2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Bogen remotes sticking

I have two Bogen remote control handle's for my Sony cameras. I can't tell you the model # because the tripods are in position for an event tomorrow.

Both have a rocker for your thumb and I'm finding that they are sticking when I use them to zoom in or pull back. (Same issue with both remotes.) Zooming in seems to be worse. I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had this problem and if so, is there a way to fix it other than sending them in for repair.

I don't even know if they could be taken apart and cleaned ... didn't know if it was a "gunk" build-up or what.

Thanks -

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Bogen remotes sticking

Both doing it sounds odd .. be good to know which models they are.

Have you been working outdoors in very dusty or windy places, or out by the ocean. Try running a vacuum over the thumb switch while zooming
to remove any dust and grit. I wouldn't try taking them apart unless you've done that sort of thing.

And are the mini plugs making good connections, clean all the plugs with a tiny micro spot of Brasso and connect/twist/pull them a couple of times
to clean the sockets.

We've got Manfrotto 523PROi Lanc controllers and I've taped over all the mini plug connections with low tack black tape, first to keep them from pulling out and second to keep atmospheric crap out of them.

Cheers.
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is it, by any chance, 521ex used with sony ex1 or ex3?
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

The odds of both of these going bad at the same time just didn't seem right ... but they did. Turns out on the underneath side of both of them (these were the discontinued handle remotes from many years ago) ... the plastic housing had gotten busted in the area of the hex screws. Basically the spring action on them just wasn't working right.

I have found someone that wanted to sell theirs and that's the way I'm going to go. I was able to salvage the handles, but now I'm just going to put the kind that clamps directly to the handle.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers