Attention all Steadicam & Jib Operators! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old December 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Attention all Steadicam & Jib Operators!

Wireless DV Lanc Servo Controller

http://www.remotei.com/products_elec...amcontrol.html
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Major Player

VERY intersting.

Basically it apears to replace the focus servo-motor and gears with a converter to LANC to use the camera's internal motors.

Very cool for the little cameras.

Thanks james!

- Mikko
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yep, it's pretty cool and affordable. It was originally designed for use on RC aircraft which are now carrying the entire smaller DV cameras onboard. However, I think you have to have an RC transmitter to operate the functions. How that will work will be interesting. I guess this will allow DV users to utillze focus pullers for Stedicams and jibs without all that focus gear strapped to the sleds and heads. The next question is how sensitive will the Lanc be for focus, in steps or smooth like a geared focus wheel?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree in your assumption that it still needs the external radios (also teh recivers.. i think all you actually get is the LANC-converter-box that replaces the servos.

For zoom it should be ok.. (for us video guys who are used to a relational system) but I doubt it would have much real value for focusing. LANC focus is sketchy at best, and only ever relational (not absoloute) even on a wired system. Without any feedback on the jostick for focus postion it would be hard to keep an accurate focus. - The only feedback would be the monitor - but by the time you see a msitake there, it's too late.

Still a very interesting system though.

- Mikko
Old December 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #5
Wrangler

I would imagine that very few DV users really require much focus pulling when they are doing Steadicam shots; most appear to prefer shooting wide where virtually everything is in focus anyway. And for telephoto shots, a system like this would likely be too slow to respond, probably less so than autofocus.

Obviously a different focusing need arises when one is using a 35mm adaptor, but then of course an external system is needed also.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers