Zoom controller! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 28th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Zoom controller!

I've thinking about buying a zoom controller for my XM2. Will this illiminate camera shake when I zoom in and out on a subject?

Cheers!

Ray
Raymond Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Jones
Will this illiminate camera shake when I zoom in and out on a subject?
Ray
What are you doing at the moment?

I have a LANC with zoom, focus, etc on it. This is fixed to one of the tripod panhandles. I have also attached another panhandle. I guess my "shake" has been all but eliminated. However, it is the ON/OFF that can kill it for me. If you want 100% non-interference then what I've done in the past is to NOT attach the zoom controller to the actual tripod. Using a long enough LANC cable I've been able to switch on and off the camera with absolutely no motion from using the LANC. Now that I'm using 2 panhandles I can truly steady up my shots while zooming.

However, what type of "zoom" shake are you experiencing?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
What are you doing at the moment?
Using a long enough LANC cable I've been able to switch on and off the camera with absolutely no motion from using the LANC.
Grazie
I have a Manfrotto LANC control, but the lead is SO short! Although it is coiled, it would not have hurt to make it a bit longer so you don't have to stress the plug at the camera end when your pan handle is extended. Apart from that gripe, it is very good, and I recommend it.
n
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cheffers-Heard
I have a Manfrotto LANC control, but the lead is SO short!
Hi Nigel . . If you want a LANC extension try Hagues:-

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Remote_camcorder_control.htm

I've got a Frotti 521Pro, and this only needs Male<>Male, and I can easily reach the LANC input from the Miller Panhandle. However, my Canon LANC has a fixed cable with a MALE end. So I've used a FEMALE<>MALE extension which I obtained from Top-Teks.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the VZrock from Varizoom, I've been very happy with it. I use it on my Gl2 as well as my Z1. It has a pretty long cord. Just my 1.3 cents
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard

I've got a Frotti 521Pro, and this only needs Male<>Male, and I can easily reach the LANC input from the Miller Panhandle. However, my Canon LANC has a fixed cable with a MALE end. So I've used a FEMALE<>MALE extension which I obtained from Top-Teks.

Grazie
Thank you. If I was really determined I would solder one myself!...... but seriously, I saw a comment elsewhere about Sennheiser 280 cans having very long curly leads, exactly what you need in my opinion. You can always coil up or deal with the excess, whereas too short is just that, too short!
N

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers