best jibs and remote focus for HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old July 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

best jibs and remote focus for HD100?

Hey fellas,

I am a relatively new DP, and I don't have much experience with follow focus systems. I have AC'd a couple digital shoots using short (10') jib arms, with the HVX200, and the DP I was working with had a little focus remote, which was basically just a cord with a toggle wheel and a display giving the focal length. So for each shot would would do a run through, and pause the action at significant moments, finding the appropriate focus at each critical movement in the shot. Then during the takes I would adjust the wheel and hit the various marks until we cut. It was pretty simplistic, but it worked, and we got some very nice shots.

Now I am going to DP a short in August, and would like to do some jib shots using my HD100. I also own the manfrotto 525 tripod, and would ideally use that as a base for whatever jib I rent. Any recommendations for jibs or focus systems that you've tested with the HD100?

Any info on focus systems in general would be greatly appreciated.

PEACE.
Ben Chace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chace
Hey fellas,

I am a relatively new DP, and I don't have much experience with follow focus systems. I have AC'd a couple digital shoots using short (10') jib arms, with the HVX200, and the DP I was working with had a little focus remote, which was basically just a cord with a toggle wheel and a display giving the focal length. So for each shot would would do a run through, and pause the action at significant moments, finding the appropriate focus at each critical movement in the shot. Then during the takes I would adjust the wheel and hit the various marks until we cut. It was pretty simplistic, but it worked, and we got some very nice shots.

Now I am going to DP a short in August, and would like to do some jib shots using my HD100. I also own the manfrotto 525 tripod, and would ideally use that as a base for whatever jib I rent. Any recommendations for jibs or focus systems that you've tested with the HD100?

Any info on focus systems in general would be greatly appreciated.

PEACE.
I shoot alot of out door stuff nature videos for state parks ect and an occassional wedding. I use the varizoom VZ-PG-F and for the price I wouldnt use anything else preforms flawlessly I love it and I am so glad I bought it, I dont use it alot but when I do is a much needed thing to have.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It controls both zoom and focus?
Ben Chace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The VZ-PG-F is a zoom controller for Fuji lenses. Focus is a separate controller.

See http://www.varizoom.com/products/controls/vzpgf.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The VZ-PG-F is a zoom controller for Fuji lenses. Focus is a separate controller.

See http://www.varizoom.com/products/controls/vzpgf.html
Sorry your right I was tired and didnt pay close enough attention the the question he was asking about a follow focus system which I do not use in my work my mistake.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers