DVX100 controllers with zoom only? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100 controllers with zoom only?

I just got my DVX100 from B&H, delivered today, can't wait for the battery to get charged! I am a little teed about something though. I bought the Varizoom Stealth Zoom DVX controller, and unlike the LANC stealth zoom models, it does NOT control focus, which truth be told, is the reason I bought it. I just checked out the Zoe and the Studio 1 controller online as well, and none of them control focus for the DVX, reason being because of the fact that the control is propreitary. Varizoom did tell me that they will be selling a separate focus controller for the DVX next month, as they've just come out of R&D, and getting ready for market. What gets me is the model for the DVX costs the exact same as the LANC model. It's kind of a pisser, and all the controller companies are slightly guilty in mis- and or under- representing their controllers as the same as their LANC models. Anyway enough with my rant. I'm going to go watch the battery charge.
Todd Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:46 AM   #2
New Boot

From what I understand from Panasonic and Studio 1 is the "Remote" jack on the back only supports Zoom and Rec/Pause functions.

It's too bad that Panasonic didn't use LANC.

Charles
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, that's what's been said by both Studio 1, 16x9, and B&H. However, when I called Varizoom to find out what gives, they did tell me that they will be coming out with a separate focus controller next month. How that's going to work, and if it means that others will follow, or there will be another stealth model with both functions I dunno. I just think that all three companies maybe should have called the DVX models entirely something else. Like the Varizoom model is called the Stealth DVX, which I, and according to B&H, and many others have mistakenly assumed had the same functionality as the LANC models. They should have called it something else like the Microzoom DVX (for zoom only).
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:02 AM   #4
Warden

I think your complaint should be with the retailer who sold you the product, not the mfg. Varizoom had on their web site for the longest time info on the controller being zoom only and not zoom and focus. In my opinion it is the job of the retailer to know their product and point out limitations or differences when they are significant. I'm sure B & H will take it back. They have a good reputation in that regard.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, they said they would take it back, but what can get to take it's place? A first round draft pick? There is no zoom/focus solution at present, and the fact remains that the focus controller yet to be released will be an entirely separate controller from the zoom, as in they're not going to integrate it into one zoom/focus controller like the LANC models. What's that about, especially when the zoom only DVX model is the same price as the LANC zoom/focus model? When I asked Varizoom and B&H about possible discounts on the focus controller for Stealth DVX zoom owners, all they said was, "I dunno". And they don't know, there's no way they can right now, as I was the one who told B&H what Varizoom told me, about the pending focus controller. And the guy I spoke with at Varizoom was a techie, so he really doesn't know what the marketing guys are gonna do. Does anyone have a good explanation as to why Panasonic didn't use LANC? Is it because the lens actually rotates when you zoom with the zoom rocker, because my XL1 didn't? What would you guys do? Keep the zoom, and get the focus next month, or return the thing and wait for an all in one model at a later date?
Old April 3rd, 2003, 05:10 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

<< Does anyone have a good explanation as to why Panasonic didn't use LANC? >>

The LANC protocol belongs to Sony. Panasonic is Sony's biggest competitor, and they either can't or won't get the licensing from Sony to use LANC on their camcorders. Canon is the only other manufacturer with a license from Sony to use LANC, at a cost of $25 per camcorder manufactured. As of February 2003, Canon has discontinued this feature and no further Canon camcorder will ever have LANC again. It is, after all, a very much outdated control protocol. You can expect Canon to move toward remote lens control via FireWire (a free FireWire controller software interface is already available by download from canondv.com called "DV Messenger").

The DVX100 focus control is not available through the remote aux jack on the camera, which is a limitation by Panasonic, not the lens controller manufacturers... it always pays to research products before buying. The forthcoming VariZoom DVX focus controller will have an entirely different form factor and entirely different interface than the DVX zoom controller, hence they are separate items by neccessity. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanx Chris. I guess I'll hold onto the zoom and just anticipate the focus controller's arrival. Any conjecture as to how they might work this? Perhaps through the firewire jack? I'm just wondering if you'll be able to use both remotes at the same time....hmmmm
Old April 4th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Todd,

I have an agreement with VariZoom which prohibits me from disclosing new product info until they feel comfortable with it and are ready to ship, but I can tell you that I've seen the prototype and it will allow you to use the DVX Stealth zoom controller at the same time (a usual set-up is two pan handles on the tripod, zoom control on right, focus on left). Hope this helps,

Old April 5th, 2003, 07:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

So you will be able to use both at one time, that's nice to know. I'm not sure too I can put two pan handles on my tripod, a la television studio. Will there be another work around that you can think of?
Old April 5th, 2003, 09:16 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Sure, put 'em on the same pan handle, but the reach might be kinda awkward.

Old April 5th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #11
Warden

I was thinking the same thing (a bit awkward) then I though about the Dolphin Rack. It's what Harold had in mind when he designed it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #12
Trustee

Zoom controller and control?

Hi,

we're thinking about getting three DVX-100As. I was told by the
Varizoom guys at NAB that *focus* canNOT be controlled with a
remote.

True or false?

Thanks!
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #13
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

True, Jacques.

You'll also find relatively few alternatives for DVX100/A controllers on the market, Varizoom's being most prominent. I have their "Stealth" controller for the DVX and it features only two controls: a Rec/Pause button and a zoom slider.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #14
Trustee

That's a drag, but not a show stopper. I think we'll still proceed with
the DVX-100A purchase.

I too really like the new varizoom controllers.
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #15
Major Player

There is also the ZOE, which if it wasn't so early I would find a link. There's a review of the zoe on this site.... done by ken I think?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers